Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inserting a moving percent in a fixed price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosette

Technical User
Nov 30, 2004
US
Good morning all,

Nurses work at patients' homes. They have a fixed rate depending on the patient. (Patient A is $9/hr, Patient B is $15/hr etc...)
Here comes the problem. Due to higher fuel prices, there is a need for adjustment. How can I include a percent of the rate/hour on a weekly basis with having the ability to change the % every week without entering a new rate every week?
For example

Patient A $10/hr 20 hrs Gas 3%

I need that percent to be set weekly and not once and for all.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

I think I would store the percentage in a small lookup table and use DLookup to get the percentage for the week when doing calculations. The percentage would need to be written to the main main table, once it has been retrieved. The look-up would only be used for new records.

Remou,

Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense - Dlookup will have to do.

Thanks

How are ya Cosette . . .

How about an additional field in your Patients table for this?

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Hi Aceman,

Thanks for the suggestion. Tell me though, when I update the percentage on a weekly basis, won't all the recorded history chage as well to reflect the new % ?

Thanks

Cosette

Cosette . . .

To be more specific my thinking is in parallel with remou, only instead of an additional table an added field would be used for lookup & lookup only! The lookup value is stored approrpriately else where . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

I know that I am dumb, but I guess I am THAT dumb!

Here is something that always bothered me. I want the value that the Dlookup function locates to be stored in the field Fuel Surcharge. If I make the control Source =Dlookup(....), the text box becomes unbound. How do I bound the text box to the field in the table and still get to use the Dlookup function to insert the value in the text box? This is the kind of basic question I struggle with all the time, and can't find one book that explains it simply.

Thanks for your help

I think in your case you should use code to make the default value equal to the dlookup thingy.
Me.FuelSurcharge.DefaultValue=DlookUp(...)
I hope I have the syntax right.

Cosette . . .

For you . . . there is no such thing as dumb! You simply have a need to know! . . .

Agree with [blue]Remou![/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back