Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inserted more ram and heard . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlymel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2003
GB
Hi, A friend of mine can just about switch a computer on so he has no chance in doing what I did for him. He has win 98 SE, 500 processor, 4 gig hard drive and 64 meg of ram. PC 100.
I had a spare strip of 64 meg so inserted it in the other slot. When re-booting I heard a noise like ........beep, bep, beep, beep. Is this telling me something??

Didn't want to go any further so removed it just in case.

Mel in the UK.

The beeps should be telling you what type of mother board error occurred. Check the mother board manual for a list of error beeps to pinpoint the problem.

Hmmmm - - Doubt whether he has the manual. He bought the puter second hand. - - But thanks for speedy reply.

Mel in the UK

I had that same thing happen. It was a bad SIMM. Can you test the spare in another machine to see if it works there. If you get the same results, then you know it's a bad SIMM.

Mpnut. - Thanks for that info. The spare ram that I had actually came from my machine about 3 months a go. All seemed okay when I had them. example 2 x strips of 64's. I guess they could or at least one of them could have got damaged somehow. - Will give your suggestion a go next time I visit him.

Mel in the UK

Hi there, it could as well be that when you inserted the extra ram that you dislodged the gfx card which will then cause the beeping...

it would be very informative to know how many beeps are heard and what type of BIOS (AMI AWARD PHOENIX) is build into the maschine...

Ben

I have often had the same when trying to mix
old ram and new ram. take out the old one and restart to check it out

I think hughk is on the right track. You may want to see if the sticks of RAM can run ok by themselves. If they are both good seperately then you have a compatibility issue.

Hey, - Thanks for all your advice. Just been there and took his old stick of 64 out and inserted my 2 old sticks of 64. Went into control panel - system and it indicates 127 meg of ram installed (and no beeps)

Thanks again - - Mel in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back