Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSERT SQL giving me problems... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLoehr

Programmer
Oct 3, 2008
US
what's wrong with this syntax?

INSERT INTO USERtbl (EIDP,RANK,FIRSTNAME,LASTNAME,OFFICE,PHONE,EMAIL,LEVEL,RIGHTS) Values ('john.doe','Mr.','John','Doe',19,'318-555-5555','john.doe@gmail.com','Company','Admin')

All fields are 'Text' except for Office which is a 'Number'.

I thought maybe one of the fieldnames I'm using might be reserved, but I searched it in Google and they weren't on any reserved words lists.

Appreciate any help on this!

AJ

yeah the error is Run-time error 3134: Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.

I'm simply trying to submit field data from an unbound form to a table. I do a verification msgbox and when the user clicks Yes, I use this INSERT INTO statement, but it's not working.

I thought it best to just show the results of the code because it looked too messy when I put it in a post. But then I forgot you could copy paste somewhere it would read better.

Code:
    If ADDchk = vbYes Then
        'add user
        ADDsql = "INSERT INTO USERtbl (EIDP,RANK,FIRSTNAME,LASTNAME,OFFICE,PHONE,EMAIL,LEVEL,RIGHTS) Values ('"
        ADDsql = ADDsql & Forms!MAINfrm!MAINsub!EIDP.Value & "','"
        ADDsql = ADDsql & Forms!MAINfrm!MAINsub!RANK.Value & "','"
        ADDsql = ADDsql & Replace(Forms!MAINfrm!MAINsub!FIRSTNAME.Value, "'", "''") & "','"
        ADDsql = ADDsql & Replace(Forms!MAINfrm!MAINsub!LASTNAME.Value, "'", "''") & "',"
        ADDsql = ADDsql & Forms!MAINfrm!MAINsub!OFFICE.Value & ",'"
        ADDsql = ADDsql & Forms!MAINfrm!MAINsub!PHONE.Value & "','"
        ADDsql = ADDsql & Replace(Forms!MAINfrm!MAINsub!EMAIL.Value, "'", "''") & "','"
        ADDsql = ADDsql & Forms!MAINfrm!MAINsub!LEVEL.Value & "','"
        ADDsql = ADDsql & Forms!MAINfrm!MAINsub!RIGHTS.Value & "')"
        'Debug.Print ADDsql
        DoCmd.SetWarnings False
        DoCmd.RunSQL (ADDsql)
        DoCmd.Close acForm, "MAINfrm"
        DoCmd.OpenForm "MAINfrm"
    Else
        'do not add user
        Exit Sub
    End If

I figured as much, but I looked up a reserved words list and didn't find it. Thanks for pointing out the brackets, I tested by putting [LEVEL] in brackets, but I think I'm going to change the fieldname just to be safe. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back