Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSERT Query - number fields 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsch

Technical User
Mar 9, 2004
US
I have written an INSERT query that will let me save a new record from an unbound form to a table.

My issue is that I have two number fields and the INSERT query will not work if they are empty. I have allowed for Zero Length on my text fields, but there doesn't seem to be such an option for number fields.

Any idea how I can solve this issue?

Thank you, in advance.

Make sure that required is set to "No" for the table field, and write "Null" to that field not an empty string.

mndrlion -
Thanks for the quick follow-up. I do have all the fields' Required value set to "No".

In my query, I am pulling from form values to populate the table. One of my number fields is Zip.

So, if I were just trying to save this one value, my query would be:
strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblClientFirm (Zip)" & _
" VALUES('" & me.txtZip & "');"

But, it won't let me do this. So, in this instance, I am trying to write an empty string, but am unsure how to programatically write "Null" to the field, instead.

Try this:

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblClientFirm (Zip)" & _
" VALUES(" & _
IIf(IsNull(Me.txtZip), _
"Null", _
"'" & Me.txtZip & "'") & ");"

mndrlion - That is perfect!

I added the additional text fields into my query. For reference (anyone following this thread), here is my final result:
strSQL = "INSERT INTO ClientFirm (ClientFirm, Address1, Address2, City, State, Zip)" & _
" VALUES('" & Me.cboClientFirm.Value & "', '" & Me.txtClientAddress1 & "', '" & Me.txtClientAddress2 & "', '" & Me.txtClientCity & "', '" & Me!cboClientState.Column(0) & "'," & _
IIf(IsNull(Me.txtClientZip), _
"Null", _
"'" & Me.txtClientZip & "'") & ");"

Again, I cannot thank you enough. I've been banging my head against a table for a solution (not the best way to get an idea).

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back