Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insert picture in a fillable form

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmbb

Technical User
Jul 17, 2005
NL
I'm creating a fillable form to archive measuring information.
One of the items I would like to add is a option for users to insert a picture of the measuring device.
Is it possible to create this option ?

Thanks in advance

In Livecycle, you have the option to add an 'Image field' That looks like it will allow a user add an image to the pdf. They just click on the field and it will prompt them to choose a file.

There is a method of the Field class 'buttonImportIcon' which may do what you want, but there are limitations. It does not work with Reader, and, depending on the version of Acrobat you are using, it may render the image improperly. If I recall correctly, earlier versions of Acrobat (I believe 7 and earlier) would stretch the image to the height and width of the field. Newer versions would scale the image proportionally to fit the field.

The document method 'addWatermarkFromFile' may also be worth looking into, but again, it is not available for Reader.

The users of the forms are using reader so I think there is no option in adobe for my request.

I will look at the livecycle option.
What you describe is just what I want.
Is there an example available ?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried this in life cycle but the problem the image icon on my library is blurred...meaning i cant use it...

I have use some form before that when I click the space...a pop up window will appear and automatically direct me to the my file on pc...

Is there a way to do this in acrobat pro?

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=c716gdj45r023ac&thumb=4
Hi wmbb,
I'm wondering if you were able to source a workaround to your problem?
I have a similar issue and I'm hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

I need to make a template up for a business that puts out a newsletter each month. The idea is that they will have a basic shell, but will be able to change text and photos in the template, once that is finished it should be right to go straight to the printer.

The template needs to be cross-platform compatible and not rely on any particular software. I don't need to gather any data. I did try to make something up in Adobe Acrobat 9 and could get to the stage where the user could select a file, but it only put the link to the file in the box, not the image. From what I can gather I would probably need to purchase either Acrobat X or Livecycle Developer to do what I want to do.

I have posted on the Adobe Forums, but sadly I have not received a reply and I have agreed to do this job, so I'm starting to do a bit of a panic.
I can't afford to spend a lot on more software so I'm wondering if there is an open-source solution out there that may do what I want, or is there something in Design Premium that allows me to do this?
I use a Mac and have CS5 Design Premium.
Does anyone else have any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.

I still don't have the solution to insert pictures in the PDF-forms.
We are still using the WORD forms I've created but these are not cross-platform.

To SamSloan,

Did you get an answer? I have the exact same deal going on here. I am a graphic designer, using Mac. I have a client who wants to edit their own documents. I came up with the Acrobat Form to solve this. Now I'm stuck on the images.

From what I can tell, LiveDesigner is not available to Mac users.

I'm wondering if I need to just build them a template in Word, Powerpoint or Publishers. Problem is is that is a lame way to design. :)

They want to make into poster size at times (i.e. high-res needed).

What did you come up with?

No, sadly I haven't come up with anything. I've handballed it back to the client suggesting that I can make up the form for them to do everything else but include the images. The other issue is that were they able to include an image, it would mean that they would have to process the image themselves as cmyk and and at high-res before placing into the form. Now knowing the normal Joe, this would be beyond them and requires them to have photo editing software.
I too considered Word, but then again we have the same issue of them needing to pre-process the image. The images they would place would not print very successfully.
I'm actually wondering if what we want can really be done. Even if we were programming geniuses we couldn't take into account all of the different variables of a user trying to place crap images. Which gets me wondering if LiveDesigner (which isn't available to Mac without having Windows loaded) can actually do it successfully.
I hate having to knock a job back or not being able to solve a problem, but I've been unable to find any other solution in this instance.

Thank you, Sam. We'll see how this goes. I need the client to answer a few more questions: If they need to go to press ever and if they need to place new images.

I've got the best solution: Have me paginate future newsletters! :)

Thanks for you help!

This is enterprise level function, or you need to enable this feature in adobe reader extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back