Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert into table using @varaibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdempsey

Programmer
Mar 23, 2005
GB
I am wondering if someone could help me with the following INSERT statement.

declare @sqltxt as varchar(200)

select @sqltxt = 'INSERT INTO'+ @lookup_table+'('+[Description]+','+
Code:
+')values('+@description+','+@code+')'

print @sqltxtExec  sp_executesql @sqltxt

Am I right in the fact that all non dynamic bits need to be in ''.

Thanks in advance

When setting a single value, you should use set, not select. Select should be used when you are working with multiple records.

I assume that each lookup table you are working with has a Description field and a Code field, so you don't need to worry about that part.

set @sqltxt = 'INSERT INTO ' + @lookup_table + '([Description],
Code:
) Values('+@description+','+@code+')'

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Thanks for the response.

All the lookup tables do contain the same fields Description and Code.

The code above complies however sqltxt is blank and nothing happens when I run it.

I assume you are running this through a stored procedure. I urge you to show the entire stored procedure (or at least the relevant parts).

@Descirption and @Code are variables. If either variable is NULL, then @sqltxt will be NULL because when you add a string to null, the result is null. I expect your stored procedure to look something like this.

Code:
Create Procedure InsertLookupTable
  @Lookup_Table VarChar(255),
  @Description VarChar(100),
  @Code VarChar(100)
As

Declare @sqltxt VarChar(1000)

set @sqltxt = 'INSERT INTO ' + @lookup_table + '([Description],[Code]) Values('''+@description+''','''+@code+''')'

sp_executesql @sqltxt

It also looks like I missed a couple of apostrophes. Assuming, of course that the description and code fields are both varchar fields.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back