Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSERT INTO statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddyel

MIS
Mar 3, 2002
US
I am trying to find the proper syntax for my INSERT INTO statement. I am trying to take three variables (part,order,cust) and add them to a table (tblHistory) in the fields (partno,orderno,cust). This is what my code looks like so far...

Private Sub cmdSave_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdSave.Click
Dim sConnString As String = _
"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Data Source=E:\MSTRHIST.mdb;" & _
"User ID=Admin;" & _
"Password="
Dim oOleDbConnection As OleDb.OleDbConnection = New OleDb.OleDbConnection(sConnString)
Dim objCommand As New OleDb.OleDbCommand()
Dim strSQL As String

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblHistory (catno, wo, cust_name) VALUES (part, work, cust)"

oOleDbConnection.Open()
With objCommand
.Connection = objDBConnection
.CommandText = strSQL
.CommandType = CommandType.Text
.ExecuteNonQuery()
End With
objDBConnection.Close()

oOleDbConnection = Nothing
objCommand = Nothing
End Sub

I know the code opens the database, but after that, it doesnt do add anything. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

strSQL = "INSERT INTO tblHistory (catno, wo, cust_name)" & " VALUES ('" & part & "','" & work & "','" & cust &"')"

If part is the name of the text field it should be part.text, work.text and cust.text

Thank you so much, that seems to have done it. Now, do you know how I could code it to check the catno column before saving a new record to make sure the number does not already exists, and if it does prompt the user to overwrite?

To do a read ahead for duplicate values, you can simply execute a seperate query ahead of time like thus:

"SELECT * FROM tblHistory WHERE catno = '"&part&"'"

Then take your resulting recordset and check if it is EOF (or record count < 1), if so then your value is not already in the database.

-Tarwn ------------ My Little Dictionary ---------
Reverse Engineering - The expensive solution to not paying for proper documentation

If you just want a record count, then the .executeScalar() method of the command object is your best bet. It returns a 1X1 result set (i.e. a number or string), so there's no need for a dataset, datatable, or even a datareader.

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ....
penny1.gif
penny1.gif

I know this was posted a fair while ago, but it has solved all of my problems. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back