Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert into SQL Server and Time Out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

handle87

Programmer
Jun 27, 2005
CA
Hi,
I am having a problem inserting a number of records into a SQL Server database... I am reading from a csv file and inserting a row for each line in the file.

Sometimes I get a time out...there could be maybe 1000 records to be inserted...anyone have any ideas on how to get around this issue...

anyone have this problem before?

CES

So you are executing 1000 separate INSERT statements?

Maybe a better way to do this would be to make a DTS package for importing the data and just kick it off from your ASP?

Do you know of a good link that explains DTS?

Can I use DTS in conjunction with ASP to import a csv file into a table? Looks that way but I don't want to get to far into it if I am missunderstaning..

also if there is anyone with sample code for this(if that is possible) that would be great..

You could make a DTS package to import just about anything for which an ODBC driver has been written.... and then launch the package from your ASP... or just schedule it to happen every so often.

Just fire up the old Enterprise Manager and spend a few minutes playing around with "Data Transformation Services" ... its pretty cool all the stuff you can do... even the workflow is kinda neato.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back