Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSERT INTO ... SELECT problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

CmPaiva

Programmer
Nov 13, 2002
PT
Hi, Tkx in advance for your help.

I need to do a INSERT INTO ... SELECT , but one of the destination field must be a sequencial nr, based in MAX(Field)+1 for a WHERE TypeFld=<cond> over the destination table.

The question is How do I instruct SQL to the sequencial number?

I did a function that returns the starting nr (Max(Field)+1), but after insert into, all selected records have in the desired field, Max(Field)+1.
How can I have this value incremented?

For more info, the SQL I used is:

INSERT INTO Stocks (MovId, MovData, MovType, Talão, IdProducto, Quantidade, IdFornecedor, Compra, Venda, Documento, UserId, TerminalId)
SELECT dbo.GetNewMovId(1), GETDATE(), 1, @NrTalão, Código, Quantidade, 0, 0, 0, '', @UserId, @TerminalId
FROM FactBody
WHERE (TransId = @TransId) AND (Tipo = 1)

It was Column MovId, that I want Incremented, starting at Return value of dbo.GetNewMovId(1) function.

Sorry by my bad english (I'm from Portugal)
Thanks,
Carlos Paiva

can you do an identity on the table getting inserted into?

No, Table has another column that is identity (Id).
this column (MovId) is an incremental number for each MovType(another column in table).Thus I need to do the insert and create an increment. This could be done with a cursor, and steping throught the selection. What i'm trying to do is optimizing the process, since i can have thousens of records to insert.
Thats why i've think in INSERT INTO ... SELECT. The only problem is that i couldnt find a way to have MovId incremented for each record in the bulk insert.

Thanks for your time,

Carlos Paiva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back