Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert into Access Table using SQLExec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven123

Programmer
Mar 8, 2001
US
Hello,

I am attempting to insert records into an Access table using the SQLExec() command... All was well until I attempted to insert a record to an Access table with a Date/Time field. Does anyone know the format for sending date/time values to Access?

I have tried:
? SQlExec( con, "Insert into events (Date) values (‘01/01/01’ )" )
? SQlExec( con, "Insert into events (Date) values (‘01/01/2001’ )" )
? SQlExec( con, "Insert into events (Date) values ( 01-01-2001 )" )
etc…

Thanks in advance for any help,

Rich.

Have you tried:

? SQlExec( con, "Insert into events (Date) values CTOD(‘01/01/2001’ )" )

Sorry, but it doesn't seem to work. ODBC/Access doesn't understand the 'CTOD' command...

How about:

ldDate = CTOD('01/01/2001')
? SQlExec( con, "Insert into events (Date) values (ldDate )" )

Sorry, still won't work... If you pass a string with '(ldDate)' to ODBC, it will take it literally (as 'ldDate' instead of 01/01/01)...

Where are your quotation marks? There shouldn't be any quotation marks around the variable name. I just finished a project that where I did just what you are doing, only I didn't have any date fields to worry about. All I did was pass variables, and it works great. I don't know if the versions make any difference, but I am using VFP6.0 and Access 2000.

? SQlExec( con, "Insert into events (Date) values {01/01/2001}")
Hope this helps you. ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com

Access uses the # key as the date delimiter:

? SQlExec( con, "Insert into events (Date) values (#01-01-2001#)" )
Jon Hawkins

Appendum:

A better way would be to send the value parameterized:

mydate=CTOD('03/22/2001')
? SQlExec(con,"Insert into events(Date) values(?mydate)") Jon Hawkins

Figured out the problem... The date: '01/01/2001' actually works. It was the field name, 'Date' that was causing the problem... Apparently this is a reserved word in ODBC... I changed the field name, and all is well.

Thanks a lot for all the help.

Rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back