Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insert id

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelydragon

Programmer
Aug 5, 2004
US
i am insert some record using "insert select", and in some case, there are several record are inserted once, i am wondering is it possible to get the all the insert id without having to write down sother queries "select .....";
thank you in advance.

No, if you want to deterministically know the auto_increment insert IDs of each record inserted, you'll have to collect each auto_increment ID after each insert. My design, MySQL only tracks the last-generated ID for each connection. If you don't pull that ID out after every insert, the next insert will overwrite the value.

However, it's not necessary to issue a SELECT query after every INSERT query. Just use PHP's mysql_insert_id() function ( ) after each insert.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

the point is the inserts are done with just one query. so how to collect the ids? thanks

You don't.

If you do it as a single query, you will only ever be able to fetch the last ID generated. This is a limitation of MySQL, but a reasonable one.

how is this:
the max id : last insert id;
the first id : max id - afexted row;

list of ids: between "the first id" and "the max id

lonelydragon:
The problem with doing the math is that it may not be multiuser safe. I do not know whether a multi-insert is handled by MySQL as a single transaction or not.

lonelydragon:
There's a second problem with that... if you're removing records & compacting the database you could technically be returning sequence values to the range of new IDs.

If I remember right MySQL actually does do this, whereas many other DBs just increment a sequence... either way it's one of the realm of possibilities you should consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back