Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INSERT help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JontyMC

Programmer
Nov 26, 2001
GB
I am creating code for a forum. I have a table of topic titles with columns TopicID, TopicTitle and Author. The TopicID is auto-increment. For the author to start a topic, they have to submit a post and topic title. I have another table of posts with TopicID, Post and Author. How can I create a statement that inserts a new topic title into topic titles table and inserts the post into post with the same TopicID? I'm using Access.

Thanks,

Jon

"Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, not excuses.

You can get the TopicID from the topic titles table using

SELECT @@IDENTITY FROM Topic

then using this ID you can update Posts table...

-DNG

How do you combine this with the insert?

Jon

Anyone help?

Jon

hi jon

In MS-access @@identity does not work, for that, u have to query the tables as follows:

step 1 : Insert record in Title table
step 2: get the max(titleID) from table
step 3: insert record in Post table using that max(titleID)

this all should be in a transaction.

But in case of SQL, u can use @@identity variable which contains the last created Identity.

kavin

Thanks, what happens if two records get inserted at the same time by different users though?

Jon

OK, this all has to be done in a transaction. I'm quite new to this. Could you provide some code? I'm using C# ASP.net

Jon

use a stored procedure. i am assuming that u know some basic details regarding a stored proc.

create procedure InsertIt [PASS parameters]
declare @NewId int --This should be the same as auto increment field type.
begin transaction
insert into first table
set @NewId=@@IDENTITY
insert into next table using @NewID
commit transaction

in C# .net the simplest way is to open a SqlDataReader that has the following stmt:
"exec InsertIt PARAMETERS"

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Thanks, thats great, but I need it to work in MS Access.

Jon

oops jumped the gun. i will see if that is possible in access and get back...

This is in VB.NET
Dim sql as string="insert query"
'Execute It

sql="select @@IDENTITY"
This will return the ID of the last inserted record...

OK, this works, but I have another problem. I'm using the OleDbTransaction object in .net to create a transaction to do this. It works, but in my posts table it inserts about 30-40 new rows (all identical) instead of just the one. Any ideas why?

Jon

nope, 30 to 40 rows? i guess if i can have a look at ur code i could say something...

Code:
OleDbConnection con = new OleDbConnection(@"Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Registry Path=;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=1;Data Source=""C:\Inetpub\[URL unfurl="true"]wwwroot\ArdleyUnited\db.mdb"";Jet[/URL] OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Provider=""Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"";Jet OLEDB:System database=;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False;persist security info=False;Extended Properties=;Mode=Share Deny None;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;User ID=Admin;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1");
OleDbCommand cmd = con.CreateCommand(); 
con.Open(); 
OleDbTransaction myTrans;
myTrans = con.BeginTransaction();
cmd.Connection = con;
cmd.Transaction = myTrans;
cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO Threads (Thread, [Date], Username) VALUES ('" + this.topic.Text + "', '" + DateTime.Now.ToString() + "', '" + user + "')";
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
cmd.CommandText = "INSERT INTO Posts (ThreadID, Username, Post) SELECT @@IDENTITY As ID, 'User' As UserName, 'Post' As Post FROM Threads";
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
myTrans.Commit();

Jon

seems ok, is there a chance of the file or the sub being called more that once?

Hi Jon

You dont worry about the max() while using transaction.
If you have transaction open, your application will take care about it. but only thing need to know that u must have getting max() + 1 just above the insert statement.

kavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back