Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insert and update rows within same SP

Status
Not open for further replies.

richey1

Technical User
Oct 5, 2004
GB
i'd like to have a stored procedure which either performs a bulk insert, bulk update or does nothing from a table on one server (CTS_CUSTOMERS - ServerA) to another on a different server (CTS_CUSTOMERS - ServerB)

firstly if the record does not exist on serverB then insert it from serverA, something like below ?

Code:
INSERT INTO serverB.databaseB.CTS_CUSTOMERS (CustID) SELECT CustID FROM serverA.databaseA.CTS_CUSTOMERS AS S WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT CustID FROM serverB.databaseB.CTS_CUSTOMERS WHERE serverB.databaseB.CustID = S.CustID)

if it does already exist, then compare the last time the record was updated between the two database tables (column name is called last_update) and if it is different then run an update.

Code:
update serverB.databaseB.CTS_CUSTOMERS
set serverB.databaseB.CTS_CUSTOMERS.CustID = serverA.databaseA.CTS_CUSTOMERS.CustID
serverB.databaseB.CTS_CUSTOMERS.last_update = serverA.databaseA.CTS_CUSTOMERS.last_update

from
serverB.databaseB.CTS_CUSTOMERS d1
inner join serverA.databaseA.CTS_CUSTOMERS d2
on d1.CustID= d2.CustID
where d1.last_update <> d2.last_update

else do nothing !
if i run this every day I suppose i only need it to loop round records on ServerA where the last_update column is >= today's date.
how can i fit it all together including including the loop round ?

thanks

Why do you need to loop? The update section should update all rows which have been altered. To see what would be altered just substitute a select clause right in front of your from and you should see multiple records, all which should be updated when you use the update statement.

thanks

i take your point about the loop. I was more wondering about fitting it together as a stored procedure. I've created a linked server between server a and b - the job will run from server a, the update will happen on server b. I know thats worked ok because I've tried a simple select which has worked ok. I'm having problems with my update now though ?
my insert works ok...........

this is the update code (the select bit works ok on its own)

use databaseA
update ServerB.EnvSystem.dbo.tblCustomer_ISB
set ServerB.EnvSystem.dbo.tblCustomer_ISB.CustID = vwCustomers.CUSTOMERID

SELECT vwCustomers.CUSTOMERID, vwCustomers.SDATE
FROM ServerB.EnvSystem.dbo.tblCustomer_ISB tblCustomer_ISB_1 INNER JOIN
vwCustomers ON tblCustomer_ISB_1.custID = vwCustomers.CUSTOMERID AND tblCustomer_ISB_1.Sdate <> vwCustomers.SDATE

this is the error
-----------------------------*/
Server: Msg 107, Level 16, State 3, Line 2
The column prefix 'vwCustomers' does not match with a table name or alias name used in the query.

You're not telling the update where vwCustomers.CUSTOMERID is from or how ServerB.EnvSystem.dbo.tblCustomer_ISB relates to it.

Code:
UPDATE 
    ServerB.EnvSystem.dbo.tblCustomer_ISB
SET 
    ServerB.EnvSystem.dbo.tblCustomer_ISB.CustID = vwCustomers.CUSTOMERID
FROM
    vwCustomers
WHERE
    ????    --WHERE clause here

Rhys
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense Edsgar Dijkstra

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

ok so.....

Code:
set SDate=T2.SDate
from ServerB.EnvSystem.dbo.tblCustomer_ISB T1
inner join vwCustomers T2 on T1.CustID=T2.CustomerID
where T1.SDate <> T2.SDate

works ok but (if i try a multiple set) it fails with error code ? still need it within an SP as well......the insert first else the update else do nothing !

thanks

Code:
set SDate=T2.SDate,surname=T2.surname
from ServerB.EnvSystem.dbo.tblCustomer_ISB T1
inner join vwCustomers T2 on T1.CustID=T2.CustomerID
where T1.SDate <> T2.SDate

Code:
Could not open table '"EnvSystem"."dbo"."tblCustomer_ISB"' from OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB'.  The provider could not support a row lookup position. The provider indicates that conflicts occurred with other properties or requirements.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' IOpenRowset::OpenRowset returned 0x80040e21:  [PROPID=DBPROP_BOOKMARKS VALUE=True STATUS=DBPROPSTATUS_CONFLICTING], [PROPID=DBPROP_COMMANDTIMEOUT VALUE=600 STATUS=DBPROPSTATUS_OK], [PROPID=Unknown PropertyID VALUE=True STATUS=DBPROPSTATUS_OK], [PROPID=DBPROP_IRowsetLocate VALUE=True STATUS=DBPROPSTATUS_CONFLICTING], [PROPID=DBPROP_IRowsetChange VA...

for your update statement try using the alias instead of the servername.dbname.tablename

update t1
set field1 ...
from

sorry for the delay in replying.
the problem was the index on column CustID was not set to unique values.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back