Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

insert and delete row not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

pookie312

MIS
Jun 9, 2004
US
I am populating a table in Excel with data from other worksheets. The table has four rows. when the rows are filled it should delete the first row moving everything up one row and adding the new data to the last row. Here's the code I have to do this, but it isn't working.

NextRow = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Range("A16").End(xlUp).Row + 1
MsgBox NextRow

If NextRow = 16 Then
Range("A13").Select
Selection.EntireRow.Insert
Range("A14:J16").Select
Selection.Copy
Range("A12").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Range("A16").Select
Selection.EntireRow.Delete
Range("A15:J15").Select
Selection.ClearContents
Range("A16").Select
'Update NextRow value
NextRow = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Range("A16").End(xlUp).Row + 1
MsgBox NextRow

Else
End If

Maybe this isn't the best way to do this. I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Why not simply something like this ?
Range("A13").EntireRow.Delete xlShiftUp

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

pookie,

Seems convoluted.

When does this macro run?

What is the purpose?
Code:
    If [A16] <> "" Then
        Range(Cells(13, "A"), Cells(16, "D")).Copy [A12]
        Range("A16").EntireRow.Delete
    End If

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red]When Viscounts were guillotined just as they were disclosing where their jewels were hidden, it shows to go that you should...
Never hatchet your Counts before they chicken! [tongue][/sub]

Thanks, Skip! I tried your code and it didn't work. It's like that section of code is just being ignored. Not sure why.
The purpose of the macro is to populate a table in an excel sheet. since there are only 4 rows in the table, it should delete the old data and add the new data to the last row. There is another table right below this table with only 1 blank row in between.
Here is a bigger part of the code.

file = MyPath & "\AVERAGES.xls" ' change to match the file w/Path
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
If fso.FileExists(file) Then
Workbooks.Open file
Set avgWorkbook = Application.ActiveWorkbook

'Format cells
Columns("A:C").Select
Selection.NumberFormat = "#,##0.00"
Columns("F:F").Select
Columns("I:I").Select
Columns("A:I").EntireColumn.AutoFit

'Populate average data
MsgBox NextRow

'If all rows are full, move data up
If NextRow = 16 Then
Range("A13").Select
Selection.EntireRow.Insert
Range("A14:J16").Select
Selection.Copy
Range("A12").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Range("A16").Select
Selection.EntireRow.Delete
Range("A15:J15").Select
Selection.ClearContents
Range("A16").Select
'Update NextRow value
MsgBox NextRow

Else
End If

ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 1).Value = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Summary").Range("B5").Value
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 2).Value = Format(Range("I2").Value, "$#,##0.00")
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 3).Value = Format(Range("A2").Value, "$#,##0.00")
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 4).Value = Format(Range("B2").Value, "$#,##0.00")
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 5).Value = Format(Range("C2").Value, "$#,##0.00")
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 6).Value = Format(Range("E2").Value, "0")
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 7).Value = Format(Range("D2").Value, "0")
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 8).Value = (Format(Range("H2").Value, "#,##0.00") & "%")
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 9).Value = Format(Range("F2").Value, "$#,##0.00")
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 10).Value = Range("G2").Value

'close average workbook
avgWorkbook.Close
Else
End If

Hope this helps. Thanks!

If NextRow = 16 Then
Range("A12").EntireRow.Delete xlShiftUp
Range("A15").EntireRow.Insert
End If
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Average Trend").Cells(NextRow, 1).Value = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Summary").Range("B5").Value

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

OOps, forgot to reset NextRow
If NextRow = 16 Then
Range("A12").EntireRow.Delete xlShiftUp
Range("A15").EntireRow.Insert
NextRow = 15
End If

Hope This Helps, PH.

It look like it should work, but when I run it, it doesn't delete the first row. It just adds the new data into row 16. It's like it's ignoring this section of code. I'm stumped???????

Seems you confuse ThisWorkbook and avgWorkbook.

Hope This Helps, PH.

Do you mean when I'm assigning values from one worksheet to the other? I tried to distinguish this but I get an error. any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back