Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Insert a help file in Crystal Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycrystalbaby

Programmer
Jun 16, 2005
US
I am using CR X with SQL 8, I would like to know, If I can insert a help file on the top of the page (file.chm).
When the user will run the report, he will be provided with the link to that help file.

Inserting a file and using a link are 2 different things.

You can insert a file, but you should opt for providing simply a link to a file which is on your network accessible to all, and use UNC, as in:

\\machine\path

The right click the link and select format field->Hyperlink tab->A file, then use the browse below to specify th help file (using UNC, not mapped drives).

The advantage to a linkis that if you embedded a file and distributed this report, you'd then have to go change the reportto edit the help file, whereas using just a link to the source allows you to just go edit the resource when required.

-k

Could you please write little bit more, As I have never done it.
How to start with?
Like what would be the first step and so on?
Thanks

Create a formula containing:

"Go to help"

andinsert itwhereyouwant it in the report.

From the first post (which was quite specific):

right click the formula and select format field->Hyperlink tab->A file, then use the browse below to specify where the help file is (using UNC, not mapped drives).

Not sure what more you needofme,if those terms areunknown, you need to get someone from IT to explain it as it's very basic stuff.

If some particular aspect is eluding you (as you seem very bright), explain what it is, not that I write you a tutorial on how to create a file and place it on the network, etc.

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back