Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Input run-time module path

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbasicking

Programmer
Aug 19, 2001
US
I compiled my program to require brun45 (it won't compile without it), is that what it's looking for, because I keep telling it that brun45 is in c:\qb45\, but it keeps prompting me.

maybe you need brun45 in the same folder as the compiled program or maybe the / at the end of c:/brun45/ shouldnt be there

Never mind, I figured out what was giving me so many errors and fixed it, I no longer require brun45.
But I do have another question: My game seems to be a bit unstable at times, the main reason is that I have it switching between exe programs frequently (a movie/wave player and a menu.) I restablized them greatly by adding the CLEAR statement to the end of the program.

My question: Is there an advantage to using END or SYSTEM or STOP, compared to simply ending the program, and if so, what are they for each?

you use end if you want to stop the program halfway through instead of using a large amount of goto's. you probaly know this already.

I'm talking about at the end of the program. I know that they all clear the stack space, memory, and close all files, but what do they do differently?

Back in the old days, END was used to terminate the program at a particular point of the program. By terminating with END, it was supposed to close all open files and release/clean out the stacks. As for personal opinion, END is used for self-contianed programs.

As for SYSTEM, it would stop the processes of the program and return to the DOS command (or calling program--similar to chain & run commands) only problem I'm aware of is that it was leaving files open and not relinquishing the stacks (memory was at a premium then)

When w95 came out that's when I noticed the differences between the two. By way of [highlight pink].PIF[/highlight]s, my programs that ended with END -- the DOS title bar would say FINISHED - you prog. And those with SYSTEM, the DOS box would simply close.

Nowadays, with all that darn patch work from MS, you have to modify the [highlight].LNK[/highlight]s to "close on exit".

You should play around with them to see for yourself.
--MiggyD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back