Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Input parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

airedale9

Programmer
Feb 4, 2003
US
I'm running a simple insert/select query that requires a change in table names each time it is run. I want to set it up as a stored procedure using input parameters for the two table names that change, but am not sure if SQL accepts paramaters in place of table names. The code so far is:

create procedure sp_DataProv
as
insert into tblDataProvPartNum
(
mc,
nsc,
nc,
iin,
partnum,
cttcode,
smb,
smbsub
)
select
a.mc,
a.nsc,
a.nc,
a.iin,
a.partnum,
a.cttcode,
b.smb,
b.smbsub
from tblPartNum a left join tblCostUse b on
a.mc=b.mc and a.nc=b.nc and a.iin=b.iin

Any help on how to replace the 2 table names in the select statement would be much appreciated.

I don't think you'll be able to use passed-in/dynamic table names in a stored procedure. SPs are pre-compiled for speed and if they don't even know what table they are touching then pre-compiling doesn't help. Consider passing in an integer value for each potential table name and have a big Case statement in the SP...

YOu can pass table names using dynamic SQL in a stored procedure. But if you do, you must grant rights at the table level not the stored procedure level.

exec("Select AirportName, AirportID, City , State, AirportType, FacilityUse, Country from "
+ @TableName)

This is an example, it should give you an idea of how to go about doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back