Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Input mask in Excell ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothmor

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
BE
hi,
I would like to know if one can setup an inputmask in a cell in an Excell spreadsheet. I found nothing about this in the books but before I concluded it couldn't be done, I thought to pose the question here.

Something like : (___-_______-__) where you just have to enter the digits. Or (--:--).

I would appreciate a fast no, it can't be done. But would enjoy very much a yes and a how.
ciao
Raymond

You can use a CUSTOM format of "**:**"
but this will just hide what is there and it won't be converted to time - you would need to use a function on the cell to convert to time (I'm assuming you want a time entry ??)

If you provide a bit more detail on the type of data you want to mask, I may be able to help Rgds
Geoff
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."
-Oscar Wilde

Use a custom format on a cell like ###-#######-### ( right click the cell choose format cells > number > custom and type the format uyou want to use in the " Type" box
Typing the values in the cell and after leaving the cell, it will format the way you want
Don't forget to extend the formatting

yeh but that doesn't MASK the input...... Rgds
Geoff
-Oscar Wilde

thanks Geoff, i will give this a try. My question was in fact a general one about inputmasks but the reason I need it now is for time input. The other difficultie about this, is that I need also to be able to input hours >24 (i.e. 137:45).
Another question would be the conversion from decimal time to normal time (ex. 137,75 = 137:45). I can manage the reverse of this (137:45 = 137,75) but I get odd results trying to do the decimal to hours. Perhaps this should be in another thread...if so I will post it again later.
Thanks for responding Coyote but indeed like Geoff said this is not an inputmask and I still have to enter the dashes.
greetings
Raymond

hi Geoff, your "**:**" indeed masks (in the sense of concealing the information, but that's not what I meant.
I want to prepare a cell that when I input 1234 shows as 12:34.
And Coyote I tried yours too and found out that formatting with 0's and dashes gives a result like
1234(cell format 00-00) = 12-34. But it seems no to work with semicolons (ex. 00:00)
ciao
Raymond

This is particulary tricky as you may have >24 hours
You can use a custom format of
00":"00
and this will give you the correct LOOK presentationally but the actual value in the cell would be: 1234
To convert this to an actual time value, you would need to use:
=VALUE(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-2)&":"&RIGHT(A1,2))
where the entry has been made into A1You will then be able to calc this as a normal time
For time>decimal calcs, remember that in excel, 1 day = 1
therefore 1hour = 1/24, 1 minute = 1 / 1440 and 1 second = 1 / 86400

You will find it much easier to convert times to decimals if you work with the SERIAL number behind the formatted time ie for 12:34, the serial number is 0.52631 ie 0.52631 of a day
Rgds
Geoff
-Oscar Wilde

...I need also to be able to input hours >24 (i.e. 137:45)....

Has anyone actually tried to type
Code:
137:45
into a cell?

I would guess not, because if you did you would have seen that Excel takes that as hours:minutes and displays 137:45:00 in the cell, and sets the custom display format for you as
Code:
   [h]:mm:ss
If you don't want to see :00 seconds, you can change the custom format to
Code:
   [h]:mm
The actual cell content is 5.73958333333333 which represents 5 days plus just under three-quarters of a day. Multiply by 24 and you get 137 and three-quarter hours.

Using Excel 97. I would hope that Excel 2K would not have lost this ability.

Zathras - I know that and xl2000 hasn't lost this ability (AFAIK) - the crux of the question relates to being able to enter 13745 and have it show as 137:45 and then be able to do calcs on it Rgds
Geoff
-Oscar Wilde

...I get odd results trying to do the decimal to hours...

How are you trying to do this?
To enter 137.75, you can use the formula
Code:
   =C6/24
To enter 137.45, you can use the formula
Code:
   =((D6-INT(D6))*100/60+INT(D6))/24

To Geoff and Zathras,
Remarkable how easily you can come up with a solution.
Indeed the 00":"00 works like a charm (I tought I had tried that already), and thanks for the formula to make it able to format as time. I will put it in a hidden colum so it won't disturb the sheet and calc from there.
And thanks to both of you for pointing out the simplicity of the decimal to hours calculation. I was so confused in this that I omitted to check the basics.
I feel helped and I hope this will give you some good feeling too :)
Perhaps a star will help...
greetings
Raymond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back