Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Input mask for phone # with extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

eowyn12

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2002
US
Hi,
I'm trying to set up an input mask for phone number with optional extension number.
I tried !(999) 000-0000 9999;;_
It works when there is an extension, but when there isn't, it shows like this after I tab out of the field.
( ) 12-3456 7890
I tried left justfied and right justified, but same thing.
This field is just for a note, so I don't want to create another field for extension.
I'm using Access2000.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you!
YM

Suggestion - since the phone number & extension are merely a note and evidently won't be used for any type of sorting, why not just use a memo field instead. Or you could just create a new field named Extention. By doing this, you won't be using much space in the database. Keep in mind, all phone numbers have the same number of digits, however, not all extensions will have the same number of digits. In addition, they could be alpha/numeric. If you choose to make an Extension field, make sure it will handle enough characters that might occur.

Hope this helps!

An investment in knowledge always pays the best dividends.
by Benjamin Franklin
Autonumber Description - FAQ702-5106

evalesthy, your solution worked for my form as I wanted. Thank you!
mph1, I appreciate your advice as well. Depending on the data, I would consider making another field for Extension.
Thank you again, for both of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back