Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Input Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddansie

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
US
How do I create a form that does not pull up data from a table, but writes data to a table? I have created a "Customer" table that I want to be able to enter data into, but I do not want the information from that table to be seen on the initial "Customer Setup" form. I have tried to setup text boxes, but I don't know how to get the information from the text box into the appropriate field in the Customer table.

1) Set the Data Entry property of the form to True. Your users will be able to add records only, not retrieve them.

2) Set your form's Record Source property to be the name of the table (i.e., Customer) you want to update.

3) To keep things simple, for each text box on your form that will update a field in the Customer table, set its Name and its Control Source property to the name of a field in the table. The Control Source specification "binds" the text box to a table field, setting up what Access calls a "Bound" control. For example, if your Customer table has a City field as part of the customer address, the text box used to enter the City would have its Name property set to City and its Control Source property set to City.

How do I set the Data Entry property of the form to true? Do I have to go to each field's property and set either the "locked" or "Enabled" under the data tab of the properties?

The Data Enable property jfischeer is referring to is accessed by opening your form in Design view and right clicking OUTSIDE the section (in the gray area...you may need to use the scroll bars down or to the right to get to the edge of your form), then selct properties. Check the Title Bar of the Properties window, it should now say Form. Locate the Data Entry row and change it as jfischer instructed.

Don't worry, finding the Form properties is not covered in most tutorials.

Cj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back