Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inplace upgrade from NT4 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenTrac

Technical User
May 14, 2004
I did a dry run, lab test on in place upgrading a NT4 PDC to W2K3. The upgrade worked fine and I configured AD after the installation. What I can't understand, I took 2 workstations from the network but when I try to logon to the newly migrated W2K3 DC I get a DC not available or can't be connected message. I can see the two workstation accounts in AD. Am I missing something? The MS documentation doesn't really cover these kind of instances, help appreciated....

those WSs DNS need to pointing to AD DNS, not ISP, not other DNS

---------------------------------------
Sr. Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

Yes agree with benlu check the dns settings for AD.. Question? do these workstations from the old domain, have the same SID. as in NT it was not an issue for ghosted PC's but with AD it is..

What I did was to take our standard company SYSPREP image and did a setup on two spare workstations. These 2 workstations were added to the NT4 domain before I installed my "swing" NT4 PDC so the account will be on the live NT4 domain and also on the test lab NT4 PDC...

I don't need to migrate computer accounts for a in place migration like when you do domain migration and use the ADMT tool? All this is taken care of when you do the NT4/W2K3 upgrade on the same machine?
I'll check my DNS again...

Yes check DNS.. As for the workstations. In NT if PC's had the same sid they will still be in the directory after an upgrade. And yes you will not need to use the ADMT with an inplace upgrade. But in the DC in the event log you will start to get kerobose error. these will affect the pc when trying to update with say SMS and logins etc..

As you are using a SYSPREP'd image this is not the issue. looks like DNS.

one thing you could try is right click on the pc object is AD are reset the select reset account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back