Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

inop voice mail on BCM200 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philbert221

Vendor
Mar 15, 2006
US
I have a customer with inoperative voicemail and AA on BCM200 V3.5. When I F981 is says service unavailable (I'm paraphrasing) I had this once before and it was a bad BFT. I've replaced this BFT and it's telling me the same thing after I reboot.
Any ideas? I'm thinking bad HD but how do I test?

Hook a monitor up to the system; watch the system boot and see if you get corrupted/missing file warnings.

------------------------------------------
Wash, rinse, repeat.

Might be the hard drive as Vmail requires it to put the messages on it.

It's the HD, so I'm replacing the 3.5 with a 3.7 and rebuilding the config. Will the Voice mail keycodes transfer to the new HD or will I have to regenerate the keycode?

also, assuming I have a good backup of the old 3.5 system can I restore to the 3.7 drive and just restore over the 3.7 OS and revert it back to a 3.5 drive?

You will have to regenerate the keycodes and when you put the HD in you need to do an MSC upload to update the MSC card.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

If you have a printed version of the keycodes on file, you just re-enter them. They are the same from 2.5 to 3.7. Or, you can pull them from KRS.

Telephony you will not have to restore and VM you cannot restore. Do not attempt to restore the 3.5 backup onto a 3.7 drive. You cannot restore a backup from one release to another release.

ONce you have installed a 3.7 drive, you will have to run a universal profile to upload the current (as of the new HD's version that is). Then you can rebuild your VM and apps from scratch.

Thanks for the responses. I have to admit that I'm not familiar with this procedure to update the MSC or running a universal profile. Can you guys enlighten me?

Follow the destructions for replacing your HD. After you start up your system, connect to the Serial port (Null modem, 9600/n/8/1) and log in. Follow the platform initialization menu and run Universal Profile. It will take about 45 minutes to complete and perform several reboots. When complete (LEDs cease flashing), log in on the default IP addres/username/password and make the necessary programming changes (IP, User accounts) and re-enter your keycodes manually.

You then rebuild the VM system as it was. If you have all the prompts backed up as .wav files, you can have a full AA and CCR tree setup rebuilt in about 20 minutes tops.

IMHO it's not as painful as it sounds. I've done several upgrades from 2.5 and 3.01 to 3.7 this way and it's far faster and less prone to failure than the normal upgrade path.

HTH.

Thanks for the response. I'm right in the middle of performing the profile update. Is it normal for when I try to access the system thru Unified Manager it says "DCOM server not ready try later" while it's going through its gyrations?
ALsoI have conflicting info as to whether or not I need the 3.7 upgrade kit. I've had 1 Nortel tech say I do and another 1 say that I don't. I have the software and keycode it just in case, but it would be good to know if I have to use it or not.

If your installing a 3.7 hard drive, I can't see why you would need a 3.7 upgrade kit. You don't need a keycode if your installing a 3.7 hard drive, you just need to INI and install the old keycodes for Vmail and IP if your using them. And while it's doing the INI don't try logging until it's finished or you may cause it to stop and that will screw it up.

That's what I thought on the upgrade kit, but like I said I had conflicting info.

I wish I knew about not trying to login 20 minutes ago. If I did screw it up, is it redoable? How will I be able to tell if I screwed it up?

I think it's been over 45 mins. When should I begin to worry and what are my recovery options?

TIA

get out of the serial port and then go back in again and start over, that might work.

All so you will hear cute little tunes as it is doing the Ini. and should reboot about 2 or 3 times.

I had this problem also and the first thing to check was the base function tray when i found it had been replaced.i had to remove the bcm from the customers lan and reboot the system.I think they had just installed a new router and
was giving the bcm broadcast messages.

Mine has been ok for several weeks now.knock on wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back