Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

InoculateIT6 getting RPC Error 1722 on NT Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewie71

MIS
Sep 4, 2001
US
Hi all,

I've got InoculateIT6 loaded on an NT server communicating with clients on Win9x workstations. When I attempt to add clients to the Organization I have created for them on the InoculateIT Admin Manager on the NT server I get RPC (1722) errors on many of them and they won't get added into the organization. A few of them do work but I have yet to find what the difference is. Anyone else have this problem or know what I could look for to fix it?

Thanks,
Matt

Just to make sure: have you run the inopw.exe util to create an ino.sam file for the win9x machines?

This is critical as Inoc uses the local SAM to connect and manage the clients.

Need more help? Post a follow-up. I'll walk you through if need be.

jve

Yes, this was done. This is the strangest thing. I've installed this exact software at several locations and never once had this problem. CA tech support was no help at all either.

Thanks,
Matt

Does the system discover them on the subnet?

Yes, I can see all the workstations in the subnet. It's when I try to add them to the Organization I've created that they fail. It waits probably 2-3 minutes and then the RPC Error(1722) message pops up. This doesn't happen for all workstations....probably 25%-30% worked fine. I cannot see any difference in how any of those that work from those that don't though.

We had to rebuild the TCP/IP stack on some 9x systems we had. Check out this Q article Article ID: Q191064 on MS technet site. This allowed us to see and manipulate the workstations, we couldn't before.

It must be run in both DOS and under windows. It replaces some registry keys and .dlls.

Let me know if this works for you.

No surprise on CA tech support. They have no idea what a white paper is. :(

Is this just a win95 fix or did you do this to win98 stations too? All my workstations are win98 and I thought this update was built into 98?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

I am having the same problem with a few of my 98 workstations as well...the correct Ino.sam is on the PC, it is discovered on the subnet, but when I try to add it to the organization, I get the same error...the Admin guide and CA site are no help...any info would be greatly appreciated!!

I believe all the ones we had trouble with were Win95. Sorry, at this point I don't have any direction past this, however, I will say that a tech support rep from CA said that if you don't register your products within the time limit, the RPC service on the server begins acting very strangely and will not function properly(?). They also suggested to have the license file copied via the "remote install," as it copies down the proper files like license and ino.sam.

Cannot verify that statement, as all installs I have performed were properly registered, and I did not use the remote install procedure.

The only other thought I have is perhaps any port configuration on your switches/hubs that may not be passing packets properly. That's probably a long shot. I know when we were having our problems, we looked at everything.

In addition, I have been very leary of CA tech support guidance. Sounds like you guys are victims of it as well.

Good luck to ya, I will let you guys know if I find out anything regarding this.

I'm sure you've fixed it by now, but this might come in handy for others experiencing similar problems.

Go into your \image directory, and type: inopw -list

If it doesn't show the username you created on the next line, that is your problem. You would then need to create a username and password to manage your 95/98/ME workstations by typing: inopw -add (username) (password)

This is the Username and Password you use when you attempt to add a machine to a branch.

NOTE: Remember that you need to copy the new ino.sam from the \image folder to the \InoculateIT folder on each machine, as the machines would have inherited the old one!

Mark
markw@careers-gyrfa.org.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back