Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initialize unsafe ActiveX controls prompt in word 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymac3000

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2004
GB
Im running office 2003 in a Windows 2003 citrix/terminal services environment. We have an application that calls up some pre-designed templates.

Whenever they are run, we get the following microsoft forms prompt.

"This application is about to initialize ActiveX controls that might be unsafe. If you trust the source of this file, select OK and the controls will be initialized using your current workspace settings"

If you click ok, everything seems to fire up ok, but we would like to get rid of the prompt

I have been through , making the necessary registry changes for UFIcontrols.

I have also tried all the settings in group policy (machine and user) trying macro security levels and so on, and have been through the customer maintenance wizard for office 2003, which has allowed me to change the 'unsafe active x initialization' to 'do not prompt' but still i cannot get rid of the prompt

does anyone have anything else I can try ?

Thanks

Andy

Its internet explorer that is bringing this up. Yes it is.

Create a GP that adds the location of these forms or whatever to your trusted zones.

ie \\machine name

[blue] This industry suffers from the three four P's People Profiles and Printers and planks with D at the start.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Cheers for the tip ascotta, but that didnt work

I just tried to add the server as a trusted site directly through IE on a single server. When I added it as a trusted site, eg \\server-name\e$, it just added it as file://server-name and took the e$ off. I guess this is correct

It didnt work anyhow, does anyone have any more ideas ?

Thanks

Andy

I think you just need t add the server not the location.

[blue] Oh you know, just doing what I do.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Yep, did that and still no joy

Ive tried uninstalling office 2003 and putting office 2000 on, but still having the same problem. I wonder whether office 2003 leaves anything behind though ? does anyone know ?

Does anyone else have any ideas. I have a windows 2000 setup with office 2000 where this doesnt happen. Im building a clean w2k3 box and putting office 2000 on, just incase office 2003 left anything behind, but im not holding my breath

Thanks

Andy

It is definatley IE that is causing it. It is not office.

[blue] Oh you know, just doing what I do.[/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Hey...don't know if it is too late for you, but had an issue with the same message in IE. Here is a solution:

You just need to change a value in your registry that will enable to "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe" for your Local Machine Zone.

Go to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0

And modify the value of the key 1201 to 0
That should work !!!

Here is two interesting links:
For all the zone and security settings with SP2:

Explanation of secutiry as well as a good vb script to show the Local Zone not shown in IE:

Yannick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back