Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initial user Password

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkd

MIS
Jun 20, 2000
SG
Is there a way to make the user to choose the passwd. After adding the users using useradd command. This is possible if i add a new user thru admintool (cleared until first login option)but not thru useradd command.

Sorry, I don't know. However, if you set a password and then use the passwd -f <user>, the user will be prompted to change the password on first logging in. Cheers.

In the admintool, u can choose an option &quot;cleared untill first login&quot; for the password option.. THis will make the user to set his passwd from &quot;clear passwd&quot; to &quot;some passwd&quot; when he logs in for the first time..

Regds,

- Hemant
Networking and Systems Integration Group
Satyam Computer Services Ltd

Issue the command

Code:
passwd -f -d
Code:
username

after doing useradd. This will expire and delete the user's current password (even if there is none) and force him to enter a new password the next time he logs in. Note that
Code:
-d
only works for file repositories; e.g. /etc/passwd. HTH.

Hi,

Thanks all for the response. I tried the
passwd -f -d username

but it didn't work. I use Solaris 8. Does this cmd work with any of your boxes. i would like to do this way instead of having an additional tools.

I will try the setpass utility also.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back