Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initial Tape Configuration Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

plattze

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2004
AU
Hi Guys

I got a Dell Powervault 122T tape autoloader, using BrightStor ARCServ 11. The 122T takes 8 tapes.

I got 2 sets of 7 tapes, and one cleaning tape (slot 8).

Basically, I would like to set it up so one set of tapes last 1 week while the other set of tapes represents backups of the previous week and will be kept off site.

I want a job to run every night and do a complete backup. (this part I am fine with doing). Automatically starting at the first tape in the set, and appending to the 7th tape.

How do I do this? The part I'm not sure about is Media Pools, Groups, and Save and Scratch Sets. Do I have 2 Media Pools, and assign each 7 tapes into the Save set of each pool?

Thanks

Only one media pool is need, and set the retention time for two weeks.

One media pool? With 7 tapes in Scratch set and the other 7 in save set? And if I have the retention time as 2 weeks, it'l automatically rotate them as such?

Media pool is configured for the # of tapes and # of days retention. Only when both are met will a tape move to the scratch set.

So if it is set for 7 tapes and 7 days, when the 8th tape moves to the save set if there is one there for more than 7 days it will be moved to the scratch set.

If you want to use two media pools then you have to set it up with two different jobs. The same job can not use two different media pools.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still kinda confused.

If I only have a single set, with only 7 tapes, I understand how the writing to tapes works. At the end of every week, I can merely run a manually quick erase, and let the backup job continue running.

This I'm fine with :) No media pools, scratch sets or save sets... All the tapes are in a single Group, "SET"

However, when there is two sets of tapes I get confused.

I understand, once every week I'm going to need to manually export the 7 tapes (previous weeks backup), and import the other 7 (which were the weeks before last backup).

How do I do this?

Export is not needed since there is no media management and tapes are erased prior to the backup.

I mean export on the physical Dell 122T Autoloader...Thats the Command which will physcially spit out the tape...

Check the manual for the library on how to import/export tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back