Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initial Install NT BDC, can't find domain PDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDog

MIS
Aug 19, 1999
US
I am installing NT4 on a new machine. I select BDC since I already have a PDC on the domain. However, the new machine can't find the PDC. The PDC is essentially a web server. I don't recall ever setting up wins or LMhosts, and I am wondering if that is the problem. Since I don't have an OS installed on the new machine I am having difficulty troubleshooting. I tried directly connecting the two machines together with a cross=over cable and that didn't work. I double checked all network parameters during install process, and they all seem correct. Any help appreciated.

I ended up just using the netbui protocol and that worked fine. I can now troubleshoot the tcp/ip connection.

NT uses WINS to find the PDC. If the PDC cannot find a WINS server, it will not be able to reply to the new machine.

Point both the machines to a working WINS server and you should be all set.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back