Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initernal DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcturis

IS-IT--Management
Sep 2, 2002
CA
Ok, here's the setup, my main machine is win xp, my web server is 2000 server (get this, on a p166 :) ) with Coldfusion 5. IIS is running fine with 5 ip's assigned. Everything resolves, and though it's slow, work's fine. So, i think it's time to mess things up, thus bring in an internal DNS. So I installed it, but what i'm wondering is this:

1) Should I give the box another IP just for the dns? (i'm thinking yes for this, but just making sure)

2) How do i still get the other systems to resolve address' for the outside world?

A.

Why do you have 5 addresses asigned to the W2k server? you don't need a new ip address for every website

to answer your question, no you don't need to asign yet another ip address to run DNS. Although i would run that from another computer if possible because it sounds like the W2K machine is already ultilized to the MAx.

Seoncd thing unless you plan on giving public access to your DNS server, it would still have to relay internal request for internet bound traffic to the outside world for resolution to occur.

For some of the sites i'm developing, they need an static ip, to do with the licencing of the content management system it's using.

I don't have an other machine to to run just a dns server, so it's the web server.

I'm trying to set this up for symplicity. It's far easier to remember a name rather than an ip.

Arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back