Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inital Log On window

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrClown

Technical User
Oct 18, 2000
US

Can someone please tell me how to disable the login window when windows 95 boots up??? Thanks

This is so annoying QUOTE OF THE DAY
Don't waste time telling people what you are doing or what you are going to do. Results have a way of informing the world.

<%
Jr Clown :eek:)
%>

make sure your default login is Windows Login... In the Control Panel, double click on the Network Icon... you should see a part titled &quot;Primary Network Logon&quot;... make sure that is set to Windows Logon...

then... click start>run... in the run box, type run and click OK... you should get a command prompt...

type &quot;cd \windows&quot; and press enter... you should see C:\Windows\>

type &quot;dir *.pwl&quot; and press enter

delete the pwl files that you find by typing &quot;del [filename].pwl

when done, type &quot;exit&quot; and reboot... it will prompt you to log in once more... enter a username, but leave the password blank... on confirmation of the Windows password, make sure to leave the password blank, and get to the desktop... reboot again, and you should be done with the login window... Shane
and now for the impressive abbreviations:
DOA, SOL, AWOL, PEBKAC, id10t, FUBAR

Thank you Jakrabit. But, isn't there a way not to have it show at all tho? QUOTE OF THE DAY
Don't waste time telling people what you are doing or what you are going to do. Results have a way of informing the world.

<%
%>

yes... once you follow the instructions i have just showed you, you will NOT see the logon dialog box anymore...

there is always a login... if you set the default login to windows, and set the password to null (nothing) then it goes straight to the desktop under the login you last used with a password of null (nothing) Shane

by saying done with the login, you will not see the login window anymore... Shane

Ok, Thank you very much. QUOTE OF THE DAY

<%
%>

what I am looking for is the registry key and coding that removes the login prompt when windows boots up.
I tried
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/NETWORK/LOGON
But can not seem to get the value set properly.

Here's the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Network\Logon
If there is an entry named MustBeValidated and
it a value of 01 00 00 00, right-click on it, choose modify and type in 00 00 00 00.

See Microsoft KB article Q178979 for more information.

reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back