Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INIT_RAPID

Status
Not open for further replies.

joneskwv

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
I am seeing the following on my 3466 (H50) running aix 4.3 rel 9:

LABEL: INIT_RAPID
IDENTIFIER: 3A30359F

Date/Time: Fri Jan 3 12:00:18
Sequence Number: 12989
Machine Id: 000047974C00
Node Id: adsm_svr
Class: S
Type: TEMP
Resource Name: init

Description
SOFTWARE PROGRAM ERROR

Probable Causes
SOFTWARE PROGRAM

User Causes
PERFORMANCE DEGRADED

Recommended Actions
REVIEW DETAILED DATA

Detail Data
SOFTWARE ERROR CODE
Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors.
COMMAND
id: cron "/usr/sbin/cron"
----------------------------------------------------------
I saw the posts concerning tty but am not sure about my situation...any ideas? My error log is full of these errors!

Something in cron is kicking off something that is causing this error (id: cron"/usr/sbin/cron").

Is what is being kicked off from cron still valid? There's no indication whose cron job is causing this, so be sure to check all crontabs.

Also, check these threads for clues: thread52-96474, thread52-137734.

Cron is not causing the problem. Cron is the problem.

Your init process is trying to restart /usr/bin/cron but can't do it for some reason. What happens if you type /usr/bin/cron manually.

What was the reference to tty??

Cheers Henrik Morsing
IBM Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration

I would have to agree. INIT_RAPID is a kind of gereric catch all for programms that are set to respawn, but for some reason do so too rapidly. i.e. the program terminates as soon as it is spawned. it can happen to getty sessions (tty's) and programs alike. I would either restart the box, or edit /etc/inittab and remark out the cron line. and start the cron manually with the /usr/sbin/cron command from root.

I hope this helps

I started cron manually and everything is ok now...no further errors in the log...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back