Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inherited PhoneMail SE 6.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfrankwowway

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2013
US
Hello all,

I have need of the instructions to remove the limits on the tech login so I can reset the SA password. I have the IPL disks, which I hope is all I need, besides the instructions I hope someone has.

Thanks to any and all in advance for assistance.

l: tech
p: field

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

Thanks donb01 for the response. I am able to use those credentials, and I did not explain myself very well ;-)

I do not have the access to the commands necessary to reset SA password once I am in the system as tech. I need the procedure using the IPL disks to perform increasing the tech login permissions so I can reset SA password. I think I am asking for the correct thing now.

Please advise

Thank you

Did you type SA as tech? It's been a long time - not sure if it asks you for it when you are tech. I can remember doing it, but not the outcome.

Manitowoc, WI, USA

I did and the command was not recognized. I read in an old posting that the tech login permissions could be limited and there was a way using the IPL disks to remove any restrictions implemented. The procedure was not posted only mentioned.

I have a guy that I forgot to ask today that used to support my old phonemail system that alluded to another login that was above tech, but never told me what it was. I was going to ask him and forgot, and I'm going to be off-grid for a while. I believe I was always able to get into SA from tech by typing SA in uppercase, but I can't remember.

Manitowoc, WI, USA

Thanks for the follow up. Let me know if you find out anything additional. I appreciate the assistance.

Enjoy your time off grid.

Happy holidays

After you logi with TECH and FIELD type a ? and see if SA is in your access programs

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

Hi PerryPJ - Nothing related to SA listed. I tried using the sysadmin as the I/P. The password is incorrect. It appears someone changed the sysadmin default pwd and the tech login doesn't have the permissions to do anything but connect to a session with some utilities, but nothing related to SA.

I do have the IPL disks.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ohh... You may already know this, but when you login as tech you will get a goofy screen. You have to hit "C" I believe to get it to connect to a session (possibly needing to press Enter). That might not be the right letter, but I seem to recall it being C for "Connect". Then you will get a menu with all kinds of commands in it that is like 2 pages long, and SA should be one of them.

Manitowoc, WI, USA

Thanks Donb01. I do connect to a session, but I cannot do anything related to SA including resetting the password for the SA account.

The admin person has changed the password and has locked you out of SA, you will need to reboot and load the IPL diskettes to change the password back

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

Thanks PERRYPJ. Do you know where I can get the procedure? I have the sys admin manual, but have been unsuccessful finding the install manual.

I have the manual for 6.3 - I have the whole 3 disk legacy set from August of 2005 that a tech accidentally left lying on the desk one day after they left...

Here is the chunk on initial booting.

Code:
4. Power on the system and interrupt at the read-only memory (ROM) state.
If the system does not enter the ROM state, refer to 5.2, “Start-of-Visit Procedures” on page
5-2.

5. Use the ROM H command to verify that all the hardware is listed. If any discrepancies are
found, escalate to your local systems engineer (SE).
Note: The system processor board and diskette drive do not appear on this list.

6. Load the operating system (OS) and log on to the service interface (SVI):
a. Enter C at the ROM CMD?> prompt. Set the time and date as necessary.
Accepting and Verifying the System 2-3
b. Enter B at the ROM CMD?> prompt.
c. Press Enter at the prompt SELECT SYSTEM IMAGE FILE
<Enter>DEFAULT.IMG,?-List Image Files.
d. Interrupt at OS and log on to SVI.

Note: After an initial power-up, the system automatically connects to SVI level at the
Action: prompt.

Manitowoc, WI, USA

Thanks Donb01. To confirm, this is the procedure for resetting the SA password?

PerryPJ would have to confirm that - he said you have to restart the system with the IPL disk in place. This appears to be the process for the initial startup of the system that I got from the 6.3 installation guide - there is really very little information about the software installation in the "installation guide". I assume you will specify the image file located on the floppy disk rather than one from the hard disk, but I have never actually done this. I have added a drive before but it didn't involve anything too complicated.

Manitowoc, WI, USA

Copy that. Thanks Donb01 for your assistance on this one.

There should be 2 IPL floppys. load the system using #1. the above procedure should work. Then type ? at the SVI prompt and you should get a list of commands. IPL floppy 2 has more commands and you may need to insert it in the drive if the reset password command is on # 2.. It's been quite a while but if memory serves that should do it for you. When you reboot from HD the password for tech will be field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back