Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inherited permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2007
GB
I've never noticed before - but for some reason all users have Mailbox Rights set to Full Control for Authenticated Users.

So if authenicated users (ie everyone!) knew how - they could look at anyone else mailbox since they have permissions.

The Authenicated Users group is inheriting this permission from its parent object - but I dont know what that object is. How can I find out!!

Any help would be great!

Thanks
A

Actually - this gets a bit stranger.

If I look in the Built In group in ADU+C, there is no Authenticated Users group. Administrators, Users, Account Operators etc are all there - but there is no Authenticated Users group. I've done a find in AD U+C and nothing turns up. Also - in the properties of the Users group (of which Authenticated Users was a member - the Authenticated Users group under the members tab has a little curly red arrow pointing upwards.

I'm pretty damn sure I have never deleted that group. Does the above highlight anything to anyone?

Sorry for my hastiness - Authenticated Users isn't a Built in group but a visible group - and isn't on display in AD U+C. I knew my MCSA training would kick in eventually!

Still - I'm still very puzzled why the Authenticated Users had mailbox rights set to Full Control. And what the parent group is where these permissions are coming from.

It seems the Mailbox Rights for individual users are inherited from the Mailbox store - but can anyone point me in the right direction for being able to change the Mailbox Store Rights (as opposed to security rights) for the Mailbox Store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back