Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inherit Permissions when file moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
When you move a file in XP in the same partition, it will retain the original permissions. Never quiet understood that but anyway, is there any way that I can force the permissions so that a file won't ratain original permissions when moved to a particular folder? I've tried using the "replace permission entries on all child objects ... " but this is just a once off and I'd have to do this all the time for this to work. Any other ideas?

No afraid not, I need this to be automatic - not something that you run. But thanks for the post all the same

Just thinking .. how are you moving the files. Is it within an application?

If not you can always use a batch file to move the files then use xcals at the end of the batch file to change the permissions.

If its something you need to move on a regular basis set up windows scheduler to 'run' the batch file every 10 mins or so.

No users will move the file manually but the permissions in the new folder are slightly different to the permissions they have in the old folder. They can't change the contents of the files in the destination folder as it's an archive. They can in the source folder though because it's like a "working version" for that day. I suggested a batch script already (which would sort out so many headaches I've come across on this issue) but they don't want that because they said there's no specific time that users will need to move the file, and they may need to create multiple files in a day or not move a file sometimes until the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back