Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infrequent bootup of PC ( boots but infrequent POST) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmoen

Technical User
Feb 16, 2003
NO
Hello!
First. I have read a couple of other articles on bootupproblems, but still think my pc needs an own thread.Thanks to all the posters.(LONG POST)

My case began probably long time ago, but in the last few months and especially days, it's been bad.

My computer suddenly dies..My screen goes fading away like when you lose signal, but sometimes the power stays on, and sometimes the power goes dead. the former being the NORM.
I use W2K.turned off bluescreen(BSOD) info in the OS and has set it to restart.Earlier the BSOD showed ..00x23 which I read has something to do with memory issues. So, do I stop there and replace?
I didn't. And my computer worked for months with the normal inconvenience, the pc shutting down at least 1 or 2 times a day. Earlier I could just restart and do scandisk,but now(when it dies) the computer still has only power(PW), and the PW can't be stopped with use of the "off button", but only by removing the PW cord! So, normally when I just put the PWcord in, it just starts the PS and the MB lights up showing it got PW, but no sounds except for other devices getting PW too. No POST.
The strange thing is that sometimes the computer suddenly can work. When this happens I do the same as above. I just put in the cable and once in a while the computer shuts itself down immediately the cord is plugged into the PS.
Then I can use the PWbutton and the PC restarts normally...of course I have to enter the BIOS and configure HD etc, and then restart and then the OS boots. BUT: lately, my computer have DIED sometimes after 10 minutes, but max at 2 hrs of uptime.

Just now I did the following(after the computer crashed yesterday):
I removed all cards and IDE cables, except Video,MB,RAM,CPU and FAN. I put in the PWcord. power went on, light on, HD's getting power etc, but no sounds. Then, I pulled out the cord and just fastened the monitor cable a little better to my VIDEOcard to be sure it was secured and plugged in the PWcord again... The computer turns itself off and I can now boot up normally when I press the powerbutton....

so, what is going on?
New Powersupply?
Thanks for anyone advising me!

I've reduced my cost on the the potential new computer ( MB,RAM,CPU,Fan) to 300$-350$, not that bad I think. I get an Athlon XP2200+, 512 DDR-RAM(brand) and a 16dB fan that cools it down to around 46 degrees celsius.and MB of course.

Today I'm dispatching my RAM to a friend so that the test of the chips are underway. I might even ask him to bring his RAM to me so I can check my computer with them. sooo much testing!

Have a good day!

So, after a long time I have now ended up with either the CPU or the Motherboard being the problem. Since I don't know anyone with a Slot A AMD motherboard I wont be able to test it. But, I read on a supportsite somewhere that if the mainboard got power but the bios didn't make sound etc, the CPU probably was the problem since it gives the processorpower for the BIOS's selftesting.

So... My last GUESS ( arg... ) is that I might have a bad CPU... :(

Anyways, I got a new mainboard and cpu and ram now, so I'm just doing fine... Just wanted to tell the "end" of the story. have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back