Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

infrastructure operations master question

Status
Not open for further replies.

supportahm1980

Technical User
May 30, 2006
US
Hello I seem to get this error on our global catalog server that is holding the FSMO roles.

"The local domain controller is both a global catalog and the infrastructure operations master. These two roles are not compatible.

If another domain controller exists in the domain, it should be made the infrastructure operations master. The following domain controller is a good candidate for this role."

I know where to change this to another server however I was wondering if it was a good idea to do this anytime during the day? Will this effect business performance? How long should the role change take? Also the dc I would like to add it to is a vm.

Thanks.

I think you can do this anytime, but just to be sure, do it off-hours (come in half an hour early or leave a little later).

The other domain controller is at a remote location would that make a difference?

gc are handy when using more sites. So maybe think about adding another DC that is also GC at the infra struct location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back