Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infrared link

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartsimpson

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2001
GB
I have an application that uses a COM port to communicate to another piece of equipment ( Running on a Dell laptop, Win XP Pro ). The other piece of equipment is a small box with only an infrared port.
I have enabled the IRDa port on the Dell laptop, and have created a wireless link. But the wireless link doesn't come up as a serial ( COM ) port. How can I map the infrared port to a COMport ?

I've enabled the IRDa in the BIOS, and set it to COM2. It was after this that I was able to create the wireless link. But it doesn't appear as a COM port.
The software that I have needs to see a COM port - it's quite old, but cannot be replaced.
Does anyone have any experience of the USB IR links ? Do they come with driver software that allows it to be called a COM port ?

check in system hardware device to see if its setup in there and also it should be in the control panel where you can configure it.

well i have had experience with bluetooth usb which is similar. it sets it self to a com port, so i am assuming that the usb ir would do the same.

Web Hosting & Telecommunications

There is nothing in either of these places. I have a "wireless link" in control panel, but there are no options regarding a COM port. Likewise in the hardware manager.
Is there any software out there that can emulate a COM port ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back