Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Informix ODBC connection extremely slow - intermittent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2005
US
My Informix ODBC connection has been working great for several months. Today, it slowed to a crawl. This happened once before. I spent the entire day on the phone trying to get someone to help me, failed, and went home. When I came in the next morning, everything was working fine. I'm not a huge fan of that method, especially since the problem eventually returns. :(

Here's an example of the problem. I just ran the ilogin demo. It took 39 seconds for it to give me the standard "not found" message. This is causing the ODBC apps I've got written to go realllllly slowly.

My server seems to be humming along just fine. Idle is in the 90's. I rebooted it anyway. I also rebooted our only windows server, and all the hubs for good measure. I then brought the system up and before I had any users on it, I tried a connection. Almost a minute.

I'm stumped. I don't know what's happening or even where to start looking. Any ideas on how I might troubleshoot this????

Thank you!

Argh. After 3 hours of extremely slow response, it just started working great again. How maddening.

Agilehound,

Do you update statistics regularly? I've only seen it happen once but a clients database (Informix SE 7.??) ground to a halt, everything else on server was OK (mem, CPU etc). Only thing that cured it was running update statistics. I only ran it as I had run out of other options.

Adrian

Hi Capoerista,

I did try updating the statistics on the DB (which, admittedly, is not something I do regularly), but it didn't make a difference. I have a terminal emulation app that runs against the same database, and that was behaving fine the entire time . . . most puzzling!

I have the same problem...if you found the cuse of the problem please let me know..I'll do the same if i find it.

Hi Madbull,

Yup, we did figure it out. It actually had nothing to do with Informix and everything to do with the TCP/IP settings, even though Informix was the only thing showing symptoms.

We were using one of our vendor's our namespace for some reason (I didn't set it up, so I'm not sure why that would be), and that vendor disallowed that causing, extreme ODBC slowdowns on our end.

Rather hard to find, but fixing that resolved the problem! (knock on wood!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back