Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Informix going Off-line by it's self! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoisDude

MIS
Jan 3, 2001
PR
This sounds nuts, but our Informix Box is goig Off-Line at least 5 time a day. To me it seems, it's because of parameters. The Digital Tru64 Unix 4.0d Alpha is up and running, but Informix goes Off-Line. Sometimes we even get a corrupt file system when Informix trips and falls down...

Has anyone been using a monitor utility of some sort, to determine which parameter is beeing depleted, or do you think I have another problem?

Thanks in advance folks! L8ter!

What does the message in your online log say? If you've reached a maximum of some parameter setting it will tell you in the log.

I can tell you something from experience: if a user kills their Informix process using a kill -9 it can cause the database to crash. They MUST use the onmode -z sessionid command.

Jane

Yes!, here is what I get in the online.log

10:52:54 shmat: [EMFILE][24]: out of shared memory segments, check system
SHMSEG

This eventually causes:

10:52:04 Assert Failed: Internal Error - Segmentation Violation
10:52:04 Who: Session(9814, cecy@youarte.com, 31596, 238)
Thread(1163117, sqlexec, 8089678, 3)
10:52:04 Results: OnLine must abort
10:52:04 Action: Reinitialize shared memory
10:52:04 See Also: /tmp/af.678ec86b, shmem.678ec86b.0
10:52:12 shmat: [EMFILE][24]: out of shared memory segments, check system

Any ideas?? I guess it has something to do with the configuration of Informix.. Our Top Informix guy is GONE!!

Thank you,

L8ter!

Actually this is an issue for your Unix System Admin. SHMSEG is a Unix kernel parameter that will need to be changed. Somewhere in the installation notes for your operating system it should tell you what it should be set to.

On our system it's in $INFORMIX/release/en_us/0333/ONLINE.7.2

I'd say to try looking in $INFORMIX for a similarly named directory and then 'grep' for SHMSEG in any files beginning with ONLINE.

If you can't find it you should call Informix Tech Support. If you have current support you probably should do this anyway.

Again - unless you are the Unix System Admin you should not be doing this yourself.

Jane

Thankyou.

I will try to find the release notes on the server.

That you know of.. Is there a magic table with sugestions for these parameters? I searched on the IBM site and found nothing....

I am supposed to do the Admin part of the server as well as finding the issues with Informix.

Thanks.. L8ter!

You have my sympathies. There is usually a file somewhere on your systems that shows you the default settings for the Unix kernel parameters. However these always need to be tuned to fit your system's usage.

For now I think your best bet is trying to find the Informix file that tells you the best settings for your platform.

At the risk of getting in troubel with Tek-tips - you might consider posting a message on the Google Usenet forum for Informix. It gets a lot of action and you may find someone there who uses your hardware. It's:

groups.google.com

Good luck.

Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back