Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information Store won't start with error code 1053 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJOL

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2005
IE
AD: Mixed mode
Exchange version: 2K3 SP2

This server was working ok up until today. Looks like it re-booted itself and the information store won't start ever since.

Looked at the event viewer. Saw a warning about exceeding the information store limit, so applied the registry fix to bump that to 25G. Ran eseutil with integrity check and it reported that there was a dirty shut down on the db. So, I ran eseutil with the recovery option to include log files. Ran the eseutil integrity check again and it passed. Ran eseutil with de-frag option. Was successful. The information store service will still not start. Even if I move the db files and logfiles from the MDBDATA folder temporarily, the information store service will still not start.

Stuck. I have another Exchange server setup at this stage, but can't move mailboxes because the Information store service on the 'broken' server won't start. Don't wan't to delete users and re-create them just to create a mailbox on second Exchange server. Weird one !! Help please.

This doesn't sound terribly pretty.
There's a choice. Either put all the log files and the stores back and do a reboot of the box so that the server is back to square one or pull all the log files and stores to a safe place and then reboot the box to start from square 0.
If the information store service won't start that doesn't always mean the store is up the creek (you didn't want to hear that, did you?). Is there anything else logged? If there's nothing at all you might want to be increasing the logging in Exchange to help get more events.

Have you been able to get a handle on why the box did a reboot? It should at least have logged an event saying the last reboot was "unexpected". If that's not logged then the reboot was planned (by someone or some process).

You have two options...

1. Create a new exchange organization on the other exchange server... and go with the recovery storage group option.

2. Get your hands on Ontrack PowerControls and mount the edb ... then export the mail out to pst's (for an exmerge back in) ... or open a new exchange server and transfer mail that way.

These options are only last ditch efforts in the event you just CANNOT mount this EDB.

Chris Clancy, EnCE,CCE

" ... when you can't figure out what the problem is, find out what it isn't.... "

Chris, he can't start the IS so the old RSG isn't available to him yet.

Guys: Because my back was against the wall, I had no option but to install a second Exchange server. I had to delete the mailboxes at each user level and re-create them individually on the second server. Exchange tasks let me do this quite easily.But...I knew I had a clean information store on the server that developed problems. There had to be a tool to query the information store at edb level or volume shadow copy level. Enter OnTrack Power Tools. Neat product and very easy to use. Queries the edb file directly or will extract from a backup. No need for the information store service to be running. I can restore; tasks, contatcs, calendar, Inbox, sent items etc.I have also set a limit at the information store level on the new server to prevent users sending email when their mailbox hits 500Mb. I will introduce users to the concept of personal folders !!

Don't use personal folders - size your Exchange to match your requirements and if properly set up and maintained should be very reliable. Set limits on the mailbox sizes and enforce them! You can have a mail store size of up to 75G with Exchange Std which should be enough for a hundred or so mailbox hogs - or rather more light users.

Personal folders are a pain, can get corrupted, and usually end up on the local machine without a backup:-(

You bet. Steer well clear of Personal Folders. That way lies madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back