Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information store won't start? Virus?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCFAdmin

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
US
I've got w2k with exchange 00 and I have the follow issues. A friend at another comapany is experiencing the same issue which is too much of a coincidence which is why we may supect a virus.

My server rebooted without cause, performed a memory dump then came back online. Everything works except for the information store service. I've tried starting it manually with no avail. It states no specific error. The log was of no help... Now obviosuly no one can acces the mail server since this service allows access to the storage group.

Anyone encouter this or heard of this as a result of a virus?

Thanks
Charles

Had a similar issue once before. Nt 4.0 server with Exchange 5.5, lost power and UPS was broken. Since the system did not go down cleanly, the Exchange database was damaged. This did cause the Information Store not to start. I repaired the database and most everything was good again. Had other problems that were not related to Exchange.

James
MCP, MCSE

Definately run ISINTEG on the information stores and maybe ESEUTIL as well. Be sure to read about each to find out how best to run them in your situation. A lot of drive space is required if your information store DB's are large. Also both utilities have numerous command line switches so if you aren't well versed using them you should take time to read about what each does.

Also, and perhaps first I would turn up the MSExchangeIS logging levels under the Server properties in System Manager and then check the event logs for any useful clues. Good Luck...

Jeff

MCSE,CCNA,ASE

Also check for free disk space. Same issues happen if you run out of disk space where your information stores are.
If the store is corrupted - it is not hard to restore it (depends also whether you want to restore a backup).
if you could post the error logs and event IDs it would be easier to give which path to take.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Do you have anti-virus software... You say you suspect a virus, but are you patched... Do you have a firewall blocking port 135.. and anything else that should not be getting through?

--Rory--

Thanks for the input... I'm behind a SOHO3 firewall and have virus protect at the exchange, user and server level. The error I receive error 7024 "The microsoft exchange information store service termintated with service specific error 0." Disk space does not seem to be an issue.

Any thoughts, thanks!

Charles

I had a problem where I could not open the information store, the cause was the compression on the file was causing the store to fail and not mount. This was due to installing the latest service packs and a change made by MS.

Check the properties of the file and folders for exchange, they should be a folder called: \exchsrvr\mdbdata\privatestore.edb

you will need to reboot the server and your store should restart.

I hope I am not completely off the mark here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back