Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information Store keeps dying on me

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBruyet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hey all,

I'm getting the following error every day or two on my Exchange 2k server (on Win2k server w/SP3):

"The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action."

I've had a tech over a couple of times and he can't figure it out. I can't find anything in the logs to help troubleshoot this. I've looked at the MS site and eventid.net but I can't find anything to help me figure out why this keeps happening. I can restart the service and it'll pop back up, but it'll go down again after a while. Any ideas???

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Have you got any av running on the box at all ??

Yeah, I'm running Mcafee Total Virus Defense Suite. It's not scanning the drive that Exchange creates. This system has been up and running for almost two years with the same configuration.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

Could it be you reached the 16gb max limit for the exchange database? Assumming your using standard edition. As the Information stores shuts itself down when the limit it reached.

Hi Blink,

I'm only looking at about three gigs for the database. Does anyone have any ideas? Even if it's a low possibility that it's the problem I'd gladly check.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

I'll keep checking, but I'm not using Norton Antivirus. Thanks for the links. I'll post back if I find something.

Joe Brouillette

You might try to run the esutil on the database for defrag and to cleen up any old deleted records. This happend to me once but after I rescanned the data base it has been like gold.

Joe,

I have installed a trial version of the Macafee Total Virus Defense. I notice my exchange server crashes each time I ask for a on-demand scan from Groupshield.

Can you check if the Groupshield on-demand scan is schedule to occur on a regular basis and does the crashes occur around the same time?

I am about to toss out Macafee if I can't get a resolution soon.

W.L.

MCAFEE's a good product. You should research their knowledgebase at for the issue you are having. AN "on demand" scan should not be set correctly. I don't have the total defense product you are talking about but I'm sure you can deselect the "on demand" scan. I would highly recommend contacting or emailing MCAFEE (Network Associates). Their Tech Support is very good and can help you out.

Yeah Zoey, that's my next step. I have reinstalled Group Shield just in case, and I'm going to see if they have any updates for my Group Shield. I'll post what I find out.

Thanks,

Joe Brouillette

I have upgraded to exchange SP3 and applied the post sp3 patch but exchange is still crashing whenever I requested an on-demand scan.

The on-demand scan ran OK if the user were not accessing their mailbox via MS-Outlook while the scan was happening, otherwise exchnage Information store will die.

W.L.

Ok. I uninstalled and reinstalled GroupShield and it's been up and running for five days now. I'm not real sure what it's problem was but it's happier now and that means the rest of my users are happy. Sheesh. If there's a printer problem or they need a file or something I don't hear about it until it's needed in 10 minutes. BUT, let e-mail go downa and they're standing in my doorway asking "Is something wrong with the e-mail?".

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Joe Brouillette

Apparently there is a hot fix 2 for Groupshield which is not available for trial software.

If you make sure you have installed the latest service pack for Groupshield then you should be OK.

I my case, I have tossed out Groupshield and gone to Norton Anti-Virus and had not had a crash for more than 24 hours.

I have installed the latest exchange service packs which included a fix for Q814924 but store.exe still crashes whenever Grouldshiled tries to do an on-demand scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back