Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information on G3si V6 & Vectoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwies

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2003
US
Hello,

I administer a G3si V6 switch. We are a small concern, only 15 employees. We do however have about 750 inbound telephone numbers. Our switch is currently configured for 600 ports and we are approaching that limit.

First, we need more ports and Avaya has quoted what I feel is an outrageous fee for the RTU (Right To Use) for these ports. We have been quoted $12,600 per 100 ports with a 40% discount making the net price $8,800 per 100 ports. What have you had to pay for ports?

Second, we now have a device that will connect to 12 analog ports that will need to have DINS and ANI sent with each call on the 12 analog circuits. I have been told that vectoring is how this can be accomplished. As I said, our switch is a version 6. The manuals have information concerning vectoring but Avaya says that to get vectoring we will have to upgrade to version 11.

It was my understanding that these features were already installed on our switch but would need to be activated by Lucent (Avaya). Does anybody know if Call Center Deluxe and vectoring is available on a G3si V6?

We, like many others don't want to pay the outrageous fees that Avaya wants to turn on features in a switch we own. If there is any information you could provide that might be of assistance I would appreciate it.

Later,

Ron Wies

The RTU for ports sounds about right. You can shop around to Avaya Business Partners and try to get better pricing (I work for Empire Technologies It looks like you will also need Analog Trunk Incoming Call ID RTU turned on and an Analog trunk circuit pack capable of getting Caller ID data (TN429D or later). Call Center Deluxe and vectoring where available on that release, however, Avaya no longer supports that release which is probably why they require you to upgrade to R11 before turning it on.

Avaya no longer supports that release which is probably why they require you to upgrade to R11 before turning it on

I have contacted Avaya in the past on this issue (V6 not being covered) and according to the Avaya help line it is still within coverage.

That's a good point, Avaya does still cover it but will not go any extra miles for you on it. They are geared right now to move everyone into their newer systems, I wouldn't expect any business partners or Avaya to be of any help when it comes to making any RTU changes without attempting to sell you into a newer more supported system. this is where grey market comes in. and this is why grey market is so popular! That gives two options now. go with Avaya and spend the big bux or go grey market and save the big bux. I guess it's all a matter of wether or not you want to be legit or not? I would think that Avaya or any major equipment provider would try to limit the grey market by keeping their charges down and offering more support to the customers. this is of course is just my opinion.

Ron,
I would agree with shned99 "You can shop around to Avaya Business Partners and try to get better pricing"

The other thing that I wonder is how you have the system configured that you are running out of ports? You can pipe a lot of inbound and outbound calls using T1's without affecting the port count.

We have a different DNIS attached to each number on our T-1's. We have to be able to know how to route each call. The DNIS number equates to a port.

For example, we get a new toll free number and have our provider attach DNIS 1428 to this new number. When the call hits our switch we see the DNIS of 1428 and have a virtual or "X" port 1428 with a coverage path of 41. Coverage path 41 first hits port 1100 then 1101 then 1102 and finally 1103.

If you see any other way we can do this please let me know.

I realize that we could have several toll free numbers all with the same DNIS (1428) and all be directed to coverage path 41. However this will not work much longer.

We have just last week installed a new receiver that must get both DNIS and ANI in order to properly handle the call. Currently we don't have a way to send DNIS and ANI to an analog port. We have been told that we must install Call Center Deluxe and upgrade to version 11. Unfortunately this means we must pay Avaya tens of thousands of dollars. This sucks because our version 6 switch is capable of vectoring but Avaya will not sell the RTU for version 6.

Anyway, we must use several ports and honestly we don't believe they are worth $88.00 per port. The last time we bought ports was 5 1/2 years ago and they cost #325.00 per 100. We just don't understand why any technology would increase in price. This is hard to handle considering that Avaya has discontinued most support on the switch we own.

Ron--

Hello
i Might be able to help for a lot less of the price
Email me antonyn@ukonline.co.uk
Thanks
P.S
Send me all the details

I agree with Rwies. I have the same problem. I have a G3v8 and we need to increase the amount of ports and stations that the switch is configured for. I called Avaya and tried to get a quote from them. They will not even talk to you if you don’t have a service contract with them.

We have another site that has a definity G3v6 and G1 and found out that Avaya does not support them anymore. I think there should be some kind of law that if they sell a PBX they should have to support it or at the very least release information so you can support it yourself.

A PBX is a tremendous expense on a business. So it should not be up to Avaya to take all that money from a company and then decide not to offer support that model. Some of those old switches are still very good and don’t need to be replaced

If you can find the right people to talk to you can have a blast with your switch all the way up to 9.5! Someone justs needs to explain the downfalls of that out here. any takers on the legal end of this? when you say grey market that dosen't mean RTU's only, there are plenty of grey market parts and circuit boards you can purchase without worry, if you want them legal you just have to get them serialized by a business partner. Some will, some won't and some can't. it all depends on the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back