Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Information on Desktop Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLeo

MIS
Sep 24, 2001
US
Does anyone happen to have any sources for good information that will help me in determining the best way to role out the SMS software to all my desktops? We currently have a mixed environment of 2000, NT, and Novell 4.11. I was hoping to role out the desktop pieces via NAL (Novell application), but have seen some stuff on the net that leads me to believe that this might not be a good way to do it? Any leads would be much appreciated.

What kind of SMS software? Do you mean the SMS client? If so, you can use NT logon scripts to roll out the client piece. This worked for me. Let me know if you would like more information. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

SMS Server 2.0 client piece is what I was referring to. I went out and bought the SMS 2.0 Administrator's Companion today at lunch. According to Chapter 8 there’s a couple different ways to role it out to the desktops. I am a Novell guy personally, and because of that, prefer to use Novell when ever possible, only because I know it, and understand it better then NT. What I don't know is what the preferred/easier/safer way of rolling SMS out to the clients is. Did you run into any problems when doing your role out?

No problems...in fact, I had several challenges:

1) I had to remove LANDESK software before rolling out the SMS client. (Landesk is much like SMS but made by Intel.)

2) I wanted to roll out the SMS client very slowly and controlled subnet by subnet.

3) I did not want to make desktop visits.

4) I wanted the rollout to be centrally managed.

Solution: I used Kixtart scripting language to perform the above tasks. Kixtart is an NT scripting language that can be download from kixtart.org. There may be something similar in Novell? It allowed me to identify what subnet the client was on, uninstall LANDESK is needed, and install SMS by using SMSLS.BAT.

When users logged onto the network, the logon script took care of everything. With Kixtart, you can create logic to determine client OS...this helped me work around the problem of running 9x commands on a NT platform.

95% of the rollout was done without making desktop visits. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

Wow! Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I think I'm going to go check out that website right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back