Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

information commands similar to Nortel CS1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithja

MIS
Sep 12, 2003
US
Hi,

We just jumped into a shiny new Cisco phone system (CUCM 10) and I'm trying to learn my way around some basic admin tasks.

Previously, we were on a hybrid Nortel CS1000 so that is what I have been familiar with the last several years.

Can anyone tell me if the cisco system has funcionality similar to:
ld 20 - stat <tn> get the status and connected endpoint of an extension, etc
Or
ld 80 - entc <tn> dynamic status of an extension, including endpoints, phone state, button pushes, etc

These are a couple basic troubleshooting commands I used with the CS1000, and I haven't yet located similar functionality on the cisco system.

Your help is appreciated

thx
w

They're not similar at all. Cisco is gui. Nortel is CLI. While yes, you have CLI use 99% of your time will be spent on the Cisco Gui side. The best thing to do would be to take a class on it. I too came from Nortel to Cisco 5 years ago.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Hi GNR,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, they are radically different. And we are shooting for some training in a month or so. Just need to get by until then, and of course training is always more valuable if you go in knowing a little something...

Im not expecting an exact equiv, or a similar CLI, just similar functionality somewhere...

Is there no way to see the status, or dynamic status of a phone, that gives more information than just a BLF display?

thx
w

Under device - phone (then locate the phone you want) it will show you whether or not the phone is registered, what IP it has, what server its registered to.

You can always use the RTMT tool as well which you can download from Applications - Plugins.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Hi GNR,

Let me give a case in point:

Several times now, one particular (non-acd) extension has had problems being undialable. It can call out, but when you try to dial it, you get either a reorder or busy - hard to tell which.

The first time it happened, the vendor was still here and they wound up replacing the phone...
A couple days later it was doing it again - the person was out the following week so I brought the phone to my desk to plug in and test, but by the time I got around to testing, it was working.
Then it happened again a few days later

I - and the vendor - did the usual reset the phone stuff each time. I, additionally, compared every item in device, line, and user settings to a phone just like it that was operating correctly). I could see the phone was registered - as you suggested, saw that it had correct IP scope addresses, correct tftp and load junk, etc.

My tendency in that case, would be to do a status on the extension and see if/who the call manager (or pbx) thought it was connected to. Then do an enhanced trace on it while I tried to call it, and alternately, on my extension while I tried to call it.

Normally I would expect information gathered in this type of approach to lead me somewhere. However I can't find anything in cisco that comes close to giving me this type of information...

I do have RTMT, but I admit that I am not even vaguely proficient with it yet. I have found the session trace log view - Real time Data display but its not dynamic data.
I haven't had a chance to try it on this particular problem - I hadn't figured it out at the time of the last occurrence - but I wonder if it will tell me anything...

Are there other tools within call manager or RTRM that are better for this type of scenario?

thx
w

Phones in CM dont give a busy. If you have a DN in a partition thats dialable, it will ring. Phone is just a physical end point. Try forwarding the DN to somewhere and see what happens when you call it.

Make a test call, if it fails, note the time. Open RTMT - Trace Logs, Collect Files, Collect the Call Manager logs on all servers for like a 3 min time frame around your call. Your SDI files will tell you whats going on when the call fails.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice

Thanks GNR,
I'll give it a try and let you know what I find...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back