Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info Views from Sgate 7.5 - CE 9 Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasarian

Programmer
Feb 24, 2004
CA
I am migrating from seagate info 7.5 to CE 9 , alot of my reports are based on info views in 7.5, does anyone know of an easy way to import or implement the same views in CE9?
I have heard of processing extensions but am not sure if that is what i am looking for. please help :)

Tas

Since you haven't really started the migration process yet, you might consider going to CE10. We love the new business views technology which is very similar to InfoViews only better. Unfortunately they haven't provided any migration tools -- go we had to migration by hand.

We're in the process of upgrading from Info 7.5 to CE10 and have a similar problem. As DTaylor92 mentioned, it is a manual process.

The method I've used is to copy the SQL from the crystal query into a SQL Command.

In the DB Expert connect to the datasource as normal (eg using ODBC). The first option once the connection has been made is "Add command". Click on this and it will take you into an editor similar to SQL designer where you can paste the code. Create the necessary parameters and save.

Right click on the newly created Command and choose "Add to repository".

Remove the command from the report.

Select Database/"Set datasource location". Choose the newly create command from the repository in the bottom window, the old query in the top window and click "update".

Verify the database - if you don't, crystal seems to crash more often than not when saving the report.

Some date/time fields which may previously have been text get converted to date/time datatypes. Formulas containing functions like DTStoDateTime will need to be corrected.

The report will now be based on the repository SQL.
The process seems long-winded but is reasonably quick.
(<5 mins for a single report - obviously longer if the report contains sub-reports based on crystal queries).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back