Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info "Freaking Out"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuffsaid

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
CA
Hi All

Ok, this is really wierd. We're running Info 7.0 (with most of the patches)and all was well until Nov 13. Info normally stores report instances from the most recent to the oldest. This is now reversed, happened all by itself. I am the only administrator, so outside meddleling is not a factor. I haven't even seen a place where you can specify how instances are sorted ???

I have multiple folders containing multiple reports for different departments. Most of these reports are scheduled to run everyday. Info seems to have stalled on Nov 12.
None of my reports show "Recurring" after that date. I had to reschedule all of them.

Also, this is the wierdest one, I have reports from different departments i.e. Distribution and Finance, scheduled to run about the same time. It seems Info is getting confused because the data that belongs on the finance report is showing up in the distribution report????
I can't have this. I wonder what my superiors would say if some confidential material showed up on a report that could be accessed by everyone !!!!

Anyone else ever seen anything like this? If so, I sure would like to hear from ya...

Nuffsaid

Hi,

Part 1 - In Info Desktop clicking twice on the 'date' heading with instances displayed will change the order in which they are shown on screen. A little arrow appears to show the sort order.

Part 2 - Did you have any clever scheduling in place ? Where you using a self generated calendar ? HAte to state the obvious but had it expired ?

Part 3 - Try getting the file name of the output file and then direvtly opening this file using Info Analyser. If all is Ok I would suggest that there may be some corruption in the Cinfo System Database.

JonRob

Part1 Wasn,t aware of the "arrow" Thx, but how do you explain this,

Nov 11 Nov 10
Nov 08 Or Nov 08
Nov 10 Nov 11

Part2 Nothing clever going on here. No custom calanders or fancy scheduling. The request is simple, just run my reports at this time everyday.

Part3 Thought about going after the output file, but as you know info assigns these "cryptic" filenames which makes it difficult to locate. Could probably narrow it down by date, but as there is probably hundred's of files this will be my last resort.

Part5 NEW I spent the better part of yesterday cleaning house and rescheduling. This morning everything seems to be back to normal. At this point in time I think I'll "Wait and See".......

Thanks for your input.

Nuffsaid

Ok,

If it happens again I would strt analysing your Info System database. Perhaps you could take a backup of it each day for a while and if you get the same problem then compare the InfoObjects table to see if any of the flags have been changed.

If you need to research the Info System Database you should set the following registry key value (on your PC):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Seagate Software\Seagate Info\ShowInstanceID to be equal to "Yes".

This will show the process ID for that specific instance in the CI_RUNTIMEIMAGE table. You may be able to match this Process ID to any error messages that appeared in your NT Application Event Log on the APS. This will assist you in finding and troubleshooting your corrupt records.

I had a situation where I would lose all recurring reports if the APS ever went down (reboot the server, for example). As you can imagine this isn't acceptable in a large environment with numerous recurring reports. With assistance, I found the corrupt records and deleted them from the database. There were also corrupt agent files that I needed to delete as well.

JonRob, Rhinok,

JohnRob, When you say Info System Database, are you referring to the database that my reports are "feeding off of"? The Info Objects Table??? Sorry call me naive, but what the #*?^ is that??? (I'm the finance guy, not the DBA)
You mention "Flags being set" What are these flags flagging?? What do they represent ? Where can I check their status?

Rhinok, I appreciate your input, but, I'm the finance guy with the additional responsibilty of maintaining Info.
Your post is a little above my head. You can be sure that it will be forwarded to my IS guys.

Anyways I'm still going to "Wait and See"...

Thx
Nuffsaid

Sorry to get Technical on you.

The database I am talking about is an internal system database that Seagate Info uses to store various data about itself and the Info Desktop structure.

The flags are particular filds within a table on the above database.

I think it would be wise to get yout techies to review our converstion.

Best of Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back