Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info desktop inheritance problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2000
GB
I have created a set of folders off the root in the info desktop and set folder rights as per my requirements. When I create a new report and save it to the folder, I check the rights to that object and find that the defaults have been applied and the folder rights have been ignored!
My understanding of inheritance is that anything created or moved into a folder should inherit the folders rights.
Have been logging on as administrator.
Any ideas?

SnowDude: You will need to thoroughly check through the various Groups to ensure that you have correctly set access rights etc. only for those you wish. I recommend that having created the new sub folder you then Disconnect and re-connect to force a refresh of the desktop - I've found this tends to clear these issues David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Crystal Decisions Enterprise Partner

dcm: Still having problems in that whenever I create new reports in a certain folder, the reports do not inherit that of the folder. It is just assigned the default of the everyone and administrator groups getting all options.
Any further tips?

Snowdude: At the risk of burdening you, can you outline the steps you've taken to include the security on the folder and the method used to add the reports - I might be able to suggest something then David C. Monks

dcm: It's been a while but I am still having the same problems!
Step-by-step account of my actions:
-log on to the Info desktop using the current NT user (me) which is a member of the administrators group
-Create a new public folder off the infoserver root and apply permissions to it. I have created 5 predefined roles (admins, designers, developers, etc.)from which I select a couple.
-Disconnect from the desktop to force a refresh
-Reconnect and then right-click on the new folder to confirm the security is there (which it is)
-Start up the report designer and create a blank report, save it to the new folder, then shut the designer down and disconnect.
-Reconnect and check the security on the report object. IT HAS THE DEFAULT SECURITY APPLIED!!!! (everyone and admin group has full permissions)
-Rant and rave with much anger
-cry into cup of Java double shot

If you can see any errors in my code of practise, then please let me know.

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Do you get the same result if you save the report to the local machine and then add it to the folder rather than save on the APS? David C. Monks

dcm:
Have just tried saving to local machine.
From here I right click on a folder in Info desktop and select new report object.
I then click on the browse button to locate the report.
If I select the Security tab then it is already showing the default folder permissions!
I could just select the predefined roles here to match the groups, but I shouldn't have to be doing this manually anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back