Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inflated Access Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPL062

Technical User
Oct 24, 2001
Recently i created an application where i use an Access database and the database in installed on a server. There are about 30 users using that database.

The problem i have is that the file gets inflated in 4 or 5 days. the normal size should be around 3MG but after 4 or 5 days it jumps to 30Mb after i compact and repair it comes down to 3MB

On all my data access classes when i terminate then i always set the recordset to nothing

Any help would be really appreciated..:)

Thanks

Hi,

it may be worth reviewing the field sizes, datatypes and normalisation of tables. You could also try scheduling a compact and repair overnight while no-one was accessing the app.

HTH, Jamie
FAQ219-2884
[deejay]

The recordset will have nothing to do with your bloat.

Are you doing a lot of insert and delete operations? These are the likely candidates.

Thank you Jamie and Craig, well, its a good idea to go back and verify the field sizes and types.....also Craig you a re right i am doing a lot of add and delete in a couple of tables, is there something i can do in terms of programming to avoid the bloating and still add and delete?

Hi,

When you delete info access doesnt always free up that space - this is where being a strict on your data types and size helps some. Compacting the database is the only way to force Access to free up this space.

A fragmented drive can bloat a db when you add stuff (doesnt have to be that fragmented but the worse it is the more bloated your db will be) - defragmenting your drive regularly can help with this.

HTH, Jamie
FAQ219-2884
[deejay]

Hello,

Creating and deleting work tables can also contribute to bloat. For relatively (whatever that is for you) smaller tables, I leave the table intact and delete the rows and append, as opposed to making and deleting tables.

HTH,
Bob [morning]

Thank you for your responses.
I am doing a lot of adding and deleting, but above all i was not connectiong data properly

Also i added a compact database option.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back