Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infinite Loop after Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crookshanks

Technical User
May 18, 2004
NL
Hello over there,

I am writing an Access application and, of course, during the process all kinds of errors occur. The problem is now that after an error has occured (and the system has entered break-mode) I want to stop the code and improve it.

Now after pressing the 'STOP' button in the editor the system seems to enter a kind of infinite loop. The screens flickers/flashes very quickly and the bar indicates that the code is [running]. Also does the hourglass appear. I can't do anything but to close the application via the task manager.

The problem occurs even at a simple error like not having declared a variable.

For now, I am not using error trapping. That is something I always do at the end of programming.

Q: Does anybody knows why this occurs and what can I do about it? Any help appreciated!

Regards,

Just guessing. Have you made any changes to the way errors are handled in the Options for the code window? Have you tried the various repair routines?

Thanks for your answer. I did not change anything. That is the weirdest thing. Could you please be more specific about the various repair routines?

Thanks again. So you think the database is corrupt? Is this looping a symptom of the db being corrupt?

Any strange behaviour can be a symptom. I generally create a new database at least once during development, just to be on the safe side, importing everything just takes a minutes, so it seems worth it.

I should add that a decompile seems particularly appropriate for you, and is very easy to do.

Remou,
I decompiled and compiled the db again.
Q: is it correct that Access2003 compiles all modules at once. After one compile the option 'compile' was not available anymore.

I also created a new database and copied all the objects in the new database but still no improvement in behaviour. It keeps looping after an error. I will continu my search... :)
Regrads,

No code in a Timer event procedure ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back