Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infection 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Technical User
Jul 18, 2001
MD
Malwarebytes informed me that I have a malware. I've tried half a dozen web based methods of removal without success. The infection is PUP.OPTIONAL.LEGACY.

Can anyone suggest a means of totally removing this infection? Nothing seems to work.

Dik

This has credible instructions:

The description sounds like you may have to repeat the process several times, as the program drops pieces of itself with random names.
You might try scanning the whole drive with agent ransack to get a list of recent files, before and after each attempt at removal.

I didn't much believe in viruses, until I watched one spread over a company network, in real time. Scary.
Needless to say, so I will say it anyway, if you have networked computers, you need to physically isolate them from each other and from the internet while you are chasing viruses, or they will have you in an endless loop.

Maybe better to do an offline scan so that the malware can't morph and you can get it all in one pass. Maybe something like this: Link
But there are others if search for offline or bootable malware scanner.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks gentlemen... it's gone... see if it re-occurs.

Dik

Thanks... finally got rid of the little begger... even had to mod the registry...

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back